April 22, 2008

Manga Talk, Part 1


Manga has been the source of many Japanese Anime titles since anime was created. Manga is where it has all started, and today the industry is thriving.


I believe what makes so many manga titles popular in the US is that most manga focus on a problem or issue a character has, and the reader can probably relate to that problem. Others are about romance if that is the reader's cup of tea. Other titles are pure action, pure comedy, or maybe pure fan service. In my opinion, what sets apart a good manga series is an explanation into a deeper meaning. Kenshin Himura fights to protect those who cannot protect themselves in Rurouni Kenshin, and the manga lays out why. I found the human struggle fascinating, combined with a solid story with minimum filler content.


I can name a couple of good titles I am reading. Bleach is one of the more recent ones. The beginning volumes describe the main character, Ichigo Kurosaki and follows his journey to becoming a shinigami (US- Soul Reaper). He has a deep past and various reasons behind his actions, and really that is what I enjoy most from the manga is that each character has a past (that some are trying to move on with) and many, especially from Bleach have some sort of sense of honor. I've grown attached to Bleach because it really isn't focused in on any kind of romance, but rather a duty towards another person (rescuing Rukia) because that person changed the character's life in some way. All of the core issues and problems all boil down to real life problems that we as people have, and like others it is always fantastic to see a solution.


Back around 2005-2006 I completed my Rurouni Kenshin collection, picking up a few missing volumes in 2007. Again, I love Rurouni Kenshin for it's story and it's deeper meaning. I didn't like the anime too much because of filler content and it's lack of focus. The manga is the original, and with the original you can begin to understand each character and why Kenshin must repay for his sins of murdering as a hitokiri (man-slayer, assasin). It's also great to read some action!


Manga has already hit mainstream in Japan, and everyone is reading it- from school children to businessmen in their 40s and 50s, even older I have heard. Manga has not hit mainstream yet in the United States, but bookstores across the nation are stocking manga as part of a routine stocking order. This is great news for the industry, and better news that more titles are available for me to pick up and enjoy.


Buying manga can get expensive though, it costs roughly $7.95 to $13.95USD (roughly 824yen to 1500yen ), and if I bought every volume of Rurouni Kenshin, then the manga cost me roughly $224.00 USD without tax. If I were to buy the Shonen Jump Magazine, which at one time contained one chapter an issue, buying Rurouni Kenshin through Shonen Jump would have cost me $1,275 USD ( a little over 130,000yen), but then again I would be getting more than just RK.


Viz Media has some great selections, but really there is a broader spectrum of manga out there to read. I recommend ordering online through Barnes and Nobles or Borders (I have a B&N closer by to the campus) or going there to shop. Normally if you head to the bookstore they won't have every volume, thus you can order through them and pick up your order when it gets there. This is very convinient, because when I needed a For Dummies book for AutoCad2007, and it wasn't in stock, they were able to get it for me. Great stuff.


Manga hoarders like me who get the money when they do: the best way is to order through your bookstore exactly what you want. They are happy to do business with you.

No comments: