November 12, 2007

Penn State Berks: Tips Fom My First Semester in College

I figured I would write a post regarding College. I have been here almost a semester now and I wanted to provide some tidbits for prospective college seekers. Please keep in mind that there are better colleges out there in terms of quality and there are also some that are much worse. I’m just here to help you make an informed decision.

Your First Day at Penn State Berks

Congratulations! You’ve applied to Penn State and you were accepted. Your first day at Penn State is going to be a busy one and I recommend you get plenty of sleep (if you can) before move in day. As you move in you will be directed through the Franco parking lot through the back into the resident parking lot. Here is how it works: Unload your crap and drive off. Have someone watch your stuff (for obvious reasons) and bring someone along to help you carry your stuff up. If you live in the Woods complex the first number of your room assignment denotes the floor. So If you have Room “Ivy 324” you are in Ivy Hall (the complex is split into vertical halls- think of each floor having territory corresponding to the hall you were assigned) on the 3rd floor in room 24. Your room sign will say “324”. Unpack and settle because your room will be your place to stay for the next year at the least. Classes begin Monday and I highly recommend going to the hall meeting and some of the events on campus. If you are a bit skiddish and shy like I was I did not go to all of the events but I did go to enough to get basic information about the campus. The rest is pretty much learning as you go.

The Dorm Complex
There are roughly 8 or 9 halls in the Woods Complex. Ivy Hall contains the main reception desk and because it does there is a 4th floor to that hall of the Woods only. If you would like to live up on the 4th floor sign up for the “Substance Free” housing when you get your contract. The disadvantage of living on this floor is you have to climb 4 flights of stairs, but really this is a plus because it helps your heart (as much as I hate them). The advantage to this hall is that you hear no noise from above because above you is the roof to the building (access to it is locked, nice try!). You also have a great view of Reading and depending how far your room is over to the 4th floor Lounge (like mine is) a soda/Gatorade machine is a walk away. You can absolutely forget quiet hours. You can get the “quiet study hall” checkmarked but anywhere throughout this college, except a test room is rarely quiet. Your rowdiest days are Monday and Thursday. Monday people are noisy because they are returning from coming home. Thursday night people are rowdy because it is the end of the week. The absolute worst I have heard is bad guitar playing, loud music and people running up and down the halls like idiots screaming like monkeys once or twice around Halloween time. You are also (relatively) safe from pranks on the 4th floor because no one likes to come up here.

Your Room
I would say the rooms are decently sized. I packed about a medium to a heavy amount and so did my roommate and we fit in just fine. When you get in your room for the first inspection, inspect every last corner and report every last spot of damage that is obviously visible. Reason for this is if you don’t inspect, housing will charge you when they come to do random inspections. They do that yeah, but they won’t go through drawers or cabinets so you are safe in that department. From here living and breathing in this room is completely up to you. I can tell you a few things you should do in order to keep the peace as best you can. First and foremost keep the room clean. Keep it neat and organized because some people don’t like a slob’s attitude. My roommate and I keep the room relatively clean. Get your own vacuum. You can get a cheap Bisel from around $20-$30. You will want a vacuum because if you need the floors vacuum you will need to talk to your RA. The hall vacuum is excessively heavy and LOUD. A small portable Bisel will be your best friend. If you tell everyone you have a vacuum they will become your best friend too: your best friend to just use the vacuum. Also get a larger trash can if you generate a lot of waste. Take your trash out and do your part to keep the place free of pests (insects) and odor. Also keep the bathroom as tidy as you can. You don’t have to clean up after others but clean up after yourself.

Bathroom, Privacy and Sleeping
As the housing website states the bathrooms are semi-private. Instead of one huge bathroom at the end of the hall you will find that two rooms are connected to one bathroom so you will have 4 people to one bathroom. Do your best to keep the place tidy and clean up after yourself. If you have problems with bathroom tidiness (other people are causing the problem) try and bring it up with all of the suitemates including your roommate. If no consensus can be reached then you may want to get the RA involved. There is no reason why everyone cannot do their part and respect others living right next to them. Some people hold tight to quiet hours but most do not. Try and respect others sleep needs and usually they will return the favor. I have found that college is about 75% great people and 25% num-nuts.

The beds squeak due to the coils underneath. After a week you will get used to this sound. If your bed squeaks excessively there may be a headboard problem like mine had. You can submit requests online to housing and they will usually get back to you within 1 business day. Use the bed height to your advantage and store as much as you can under your bed. I keep a recycling bin under there (it’s just a tub-a-ware bin) where I put my plastic bottles to cut down on waste. Penn State is notorious for energy saving preaching and recycling and for good reasons. Respect the needs of others when they need time alone. If I had a phone call I would take it outside if my roommate was studying and he did the same. I dressed elsewhere (bathroom) because no one likes seeing another guy (or girl) in the buff. Try and shower too and keep yourself presentable. Hell you can do whatever you want but I am suggesting good stuff to keep yourself in line with everyone else. Try and keep quiet and don’t be shy to go tell someone to tone it down a notch or two. General courtesy should always be a prime thing even if you hate someone’s guts’ that is just how I operate and it has worked well for me. I don’t have too many enemies here. I have an enemy, that person does not speak to me usually (someone from high school who still wants to play tough).

Friends
Were you a High School loner like I was? Its game over. College is a huge social game as well and you need to participate in it to get the most out of college. People are here because they want to be here and I assure you that 75-85% of the people you meet are polite and friendly. If you need friends do your best to fit in with your roommate. I got EXTREMELY lucky when I heard my roommate was into model railroading. While I wasn’t deep into it myself I shared a common trait: I am a model builder. We are both engineers, and Penn State really tries to match people up by major. You will never get a room with a person of the opposite sex (as far as I know) but the halls are Co-Ed. I don’t speak to every last person on campus and I don’t think a lot of people have time to do it either. Go to every social event you can; Berks offers comedians who come in and many other speakers and performers. Step OUT of the box and introduce yourself to people; these may be people you need to contact later. Find some common ground with people and stick at it. As an engineer it is easy for me: people with the same major as mine are showing up in 95% of my classes. We are good acquaintances and things are being kept that way. College, I have found is all about stepping out of the box and not worrying about your social screw-ups. Around these parts if you’re having a bad day people won’t cut ties immediately and call it game over. You will see your roommate (and possibly your suitemates) everyday, so try and keep the peace with them. Apologize when you screw up and forgive them for screwing up and move on.

Choosing Classes
This is the part of any college that sucks. Unless you are an athlete or an honors student you will get the last pool pick at classes. Some classes are so exclusive that they are offered by only one teacher at only one time. I call these classes rogue classes. Sometimes the only time you can fit a class in is 8:00am in the morning. Bear your teeth and change your sleep schedule so you do well in the class. I hated the really late classes: anything after 6:00pm and I will fall asleep. Get what you can where you can. When you are registering for classes, KNOW YOUR DEADLINES AND GET ON THE EARLIEST SECOND YOU CAN. SECONDS COUNT. When registering for my second semester a few days ago I had already picked my courses days before my registration. The first 10 seconds of the system going online I got in and punched my course IDs and got out of there. I checked back a minute later and *EXPLODE* the network crashed. Whether it is registering for housing or classes get your apps in AS EARLY AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE. There are 3000 students at this campus and things get… How should I say competitive.

Parking
When you park your vehicle, park it in a good spot and don’t plan to leave for a week. Parking is so limited around here that if you give your spot up, chances are in 2 to 5 minutes it will be filled on average. Get your parking early and even if it is in the middle of the parking lot be thankful you are not all the way in the back. We call that area the boonies and it is the perfect area for Village residents to park. Don’t park in the fire lane and don’t speed through the parking lot. The Penn State Police Force patrols through the area constantly and you will get a ticket for being a dork. Pedestrians have the right of way too.

Your Biggest Points:
- Know your deadlines and get stuff in the first hour that you can to save heartache later. Competition is fierce.
- Go to social events and fully utilize the campus because your $20,000 tuition price tag covers it. Penn State is the most expensive public college in the nation and for good reason: despite the drawbacks it is a good education if you plan it accordingly (selecting correct professors). Have fun!
- Clean your room (and yourself) up. Appear presentable and always try to act friendly. You don’t have to answer the door but you do have the right to request a little quiet and peace.
- Do not go to Tulleys, the cafeteria around 12:00pm-2:00pm (which is common hour- no classes for anyone)
- Keep up with your coursework and ASK FOR HELP when you need it. It is your education; most of the learning is now done outside of the classroom but a considerable deal is done inside.
- Utilize social events for free food and a fun time; especially for the free food.
- Don’t hog the Ivy Lounge computers and buy your own; it can piss people off when you spend 3-5 hours on the computer
.- Take advantage of free programs or tips for your classes (I got a free copy of PSPICE from an engineering teacher for my PC)
- Join a club, but don’t make too many commitments.
- Don’t show up to class only when you are sick. Some will take attendance, other professors will not care. I have found this is a 50/50 chance of happening that roll call is administered the first year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, I should have found this earlier. There's a lot of stuff I took for granted because I'm a natural explorer. I typed in move in housing berks penn state and got your article. See you Sunday!

CT

Rob said...

Hey Cool- good to see Google is at work!

Anonymous said...

thanks for this blog..i got into berks..and will probably go to University Park junior year..but it seems like berks is a great place to be

Rob said...

Thanks for posting John!

Yeah Berks is a pretty nice place. What is your major? I am fitting in here just fine and I know around 30 good people I see every week. Be careful picking your professors!