November 16, 2007

Cobra System- Compressed Oxygen Breach Reservoir Apparatus




I've been a bit busy this week with a couple of tests and lots of notes. I have been finishing up my 1:350 Yamato as well but the highlight of this week came when I received an instant message from an old friend of mine by the name of Duxburian. He led me to the SoakerMedia.com page for their Douchenator design, a water balloon launcher that makes an onomonopeatic sound "douche" when it launches. I am taking their generation 1 design and modifying it into my own design system called the Cobra system.


The water balloon launcher will not only function as a water balloon launcher, it can serve as a potato gun, a water cannon, snowball cannon/launcher, any projectile with a diamater equal to or including 2.8 inches I can fire from this device. I call it a device because it does not have the power to shoot actual rounds, thus it is not a gun. The projectile is helped by a sabot to primarily keep the projectiles from bursting or to minimize deformation. The douchenators 3rd generation design includes a breach system; I would love to eventually design one however I am not at that point where I can devote a lot of time to a project. The system is really pretty easy to define.


The launcher is made up of 3 pieces of PVC pipe that can withstand 270psi. they are joined together by valves that have a release handle. When all cemented together, the reservoir will fill with compressed air that travels through a schrader valve from a bike pump built into the system. The pump is pumped to the desired PSI (80-120psi) and the valve remains shut to the barrel. The middle PVC piece will be the middle reservoir. When pumping initially I plan to leave that valve open. If I pump both valves then seal the valve connecting the middle reservoir and main reservoir then I can get multiple shots out of a cycle. Instead of pumping and reloading I can get off one shot, seal the valve to the barrel, open the valve to the middle reservoir, lock the reservoir valve then get another shot or two off. It is a simple addition and in theory it should not deterriorate the range of the device.


This will be my Thanksgiving Holiday project!!

No comments: