March 28, 2008

My First Brawl Tournament

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3


Penn State Berks held a Super Smash Bros Brawl tournament hosted by my RA's boyfriend. We had about 60 some people (probably more around 70-80) in attendance tonight with 22 teams of two inside a bracket tournament. I got paired up with a friend of mine and we ended up around 10th place out of 22, which isn't bad I suppose.

I played as King Dedede and Captain Falcon my first and second rounds, respectively (double elimination). My partner, another team and I left the tournament when we all got knocked out so I am not sure who won, but we went up onto another floor and played a few private games of Brawl to cool down.

Suprisingly the contest was held in a very organized fashion, and when I lost my controller in the beginning of the tournament someone was polite enough to turn it in, and I got it back. From now on I will be marking my controllers in some way. I had fun, and I got to see how some people fought really well: there was a Falco/Ike team, a Lucas/Lucas team and a Pit/Lucario team that were all really good and challenging.

I think this event was good for me to go to: I got to have fun with people I didn't know over something we all love: there were organized teams there (people who play and train together daily) that played beautifully. I hope to register for another Brawl tournament soon, and I am sure there will be no shortage of Brawl tournaments for my entire college career (There were melee tournaments prior to the release of Brawl!). Roughly 2.5% of the college campus population showed up to the event.

No comments: