December 27, 2007

1/350 HMS King George V

I went out this afternoon and picked up the King George V model from my local Hobbytown USA. the kit has been there for the longest time and I finally decided to pick it up and give it a whirl. The kit looks very nice: there is a lot of deck detail though that I need to go back and paint. The hull is full hull of course and it was nice of Tamiya to mark out the bootline for me. The box art looks great and there wern't that many trees (4 or 5) but it appears that the kit builds up nicely.

Unfortunatly, I looked at the interior of the hull and there was no battery compartment or trees for hardware assembly. There was no gear box either. A logical solution is that I will add two 3 volt motors and wire them as such they take power equally from the 6 volt battery (to avoid meltdown). I don't want to go out and buy another RC truck so I think I will try and contact New Bright to see if I can get some spare parts at a price. I want to RC this ship and thankfully Tamiya left it open for modification (from what I saw).

Unfortunatly I cannot share images with you guys- my card reader for my laptop has been disabled with the recent sophisticated worm/hacker attack that hit my laptop. I don't have the cord for my camera so I cannot import pictures. I apologize and I will get them up as soon as I can.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey dude!
You sound like me 20 years ago (model builder, engineering student.) I know it's a lot of work, but hang in there. The world is depending on us to build cool stuff like remote controls and missile defense systems. :)
~Richard

Rob said...

Hey Rich,

I am hanging in there. I have had a lot of work this semester and its been 9 or 10 days since I've touched Missy! (Missouri). I am going to work on her tonight and finish some of the Orliekons (spelling?) and some of the rear deck detail near the catapaults. Which reminds me, I need to get painting those seaplanes!

I've been convinced that all of the studying will be worth it. After looking at classes down the tube I think I will be more than ready for a career in the naval/maritime/engineering fields. Preferably I would like to do something for the military (not in the military, but for the military).