April 27, 2007

Review: Tiger Woods 2007 for Wii


EA Games has made really great Tiger Woods games for the past few years, I enjoyed Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2003, and I found Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005 for the Playstation 2 to be a phenomenal game. This spring season, EA Games has released Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2007 for the Wii, and sadly for me this game is a big disappointment.


I'll start with the game difficulty. This game is very hard to play if you are NOT a golfer, like me. There are not a lot of interface options to help a person who is dead STUPID when it comes to how to swing. 95% of my shots curved left or right, and it was frustrating to try and aim to get the ball on the fairway. You will enjoy this game if you have a good golf swing: if you don't your gonna find this game to be extremely frustrating and (almost) unplayable.


The interface is also clean and looks nice, but it is very hard to select anything with the Wii-mote. I liked the variety of clothes/person styles while creating your golfer, and I thought how they did that was well done. When aiming for your shot, if you grab the aiming circle to move it, the hand will stop moving and you will get a "no" symbol, something that I found highly annoying and counter-productive at the same time. Probably the most annoying thing I found with this game is, when you pull back to make a swing, sometimes before you actually swing, the game will swing before your arms extend all the way down, and the shot will only go about half the distance you intended it to. This makes the game unplayable, and you must use one hand to whack the ball.


This game was not a disappointment in the graphics department, however. Courses are beautiful and well done. Movement for the most part is fluid and lifelike, but I did find some "chunkiness" when too many polygons exploded on the screen. That doesn't annoy me as much, and the game looked really, really nice. If this game had aids to help people with a poor swing, and just as good/the same/better interface than PGA Tour 2005, they would have a really good golf game for the Wii.


Overall I would give this game a 2 out of 5, just for trying. I'm sure my dad will like this one (he almost turned professional at one point) but I am just not a golfer. A frustrating interface, glitches that result in incomplete shots, but really good graphics. I am going to stick to my Playstation 2 and continue to beat the legends of gold on it. Speaking of, Tiger 2007 has none of that, which disappointed me.

No comments: