July 14, 2008

M3 Lee Progress



I've been working on the Lee a little bit- in between cleaning my room and closet. I chose the M3 as a model because it has an odd design. I began by assembling the wheels, drive sprokets and idler wheels. I then attached them to the hull and worked on the front, back, then I worked on the sponson gun. I always like articulation- however this kit hasn't exactly been a "good soldier" in regards to fitting together. It isn't a pain in the rear, but it could be more convinient, though. I decided that I will assemble the entire model, paint it, then go into hand painting then weathering.



I also went out and bought small wood plaques that will serve as tiny bases. I know, I know- I said I wouldn't get bases but the tanks would look awesome with realistic terrain under them, or the look of a plaque.... *sighs*. I like my models plaqued. I came up with another great solution too- my M41 Walker Bulldog has a switch underneat the tank, and you can't turn the headlights on if she is attached to the base! answer- velcro dots, baby. These are great for everything else too- including my ships (to attach to bases) and many other uses.



Today, instead of hideous tape I replaced the tape with velcro, which once attached my dragsters to their display bases. With velcro things look a lot better AND I was able to put the expended cartridge in with the dragster as well. The Lee is going to take maybe another week or so before I can finish it properly- it will be a quick, but good job since I am cutting straight to assembly then paint, then hand paints, then decals.

No comments: