July 12, 2008

Lucky Star DVD Volume 1


I treated myself to a little something after getting a paycheck (yay!) and I decided to get Lucky Star: Volume 1 on DVD. The DVD was released sometime in June by Bandai, and Volume 2 on July 1st.



Lucky Star is an anime that follows the lives of four Japanese school girls, one of which is a major Otaku. The anime also plays on the Otaku sub-culture of Japan, and for those who understand the references they are very amusing. Lucky Star is the series that corrected me on the difference between Moe and Lolicon- if I said anything before on the subjects then this overides what I said- Lucky Star is pure Moe.



There are many Moe references as well. Moe refers to an animation style in Japanese Anime where the animation presents the characters as cute and/or adorable. Although the girls in the series are 16-17 years of age, they look sort of younger due to the animation style. They are cute and adorable (in my opinion), and that is what makes it moe (pronounced moe-eh). Lolicon is a genuine sexual interest in characters who have young faces on obviously older bodies, which this author in particular does not follow or get into.



I love Kona-chan! She is exactly the kind of whit and humor I would find in a good friend, thus I instantly share a connection. In a way, many of the characters in the show can be connected with to various degrees. I like Miyuki-san's knowledge of a broad range of topic and western charm, yet I like the innocence, but dedication of Kagamin- and I like Tsukasa for being.... well Tsukasa. The anime, if I havn't said it enough is awesome. I totally underestimated the staff at Bandai and their decision making for English voice actors. Every single voice actor is nearly perfect- they have their heart and soul into the production which makes the anime real and believeable. Wendee Lee especially does a great job with Konata.



Unfortunately I paid around $5.00USD more for the DVD, but it was worth it considering I got to watch a lot of it on vacation. It retails for $24.99USD, and after seeing the series on Youtube I had to have it on DVD. The animation quality is top notch, actually went up a notch on the DVD, and the dub is incredible- I never say that about dubs. This DVD and anime series is definitely worth a buy and a check out.

No comments: