December 9, 2007

Robotech: The Macross Saga


I purchased the complete robotech collection from BestBuy quite a while ago however I have not had the time to watch due to classwork. I just finished watching the Macross Saga and I have to say for an anime that debuted in 1985 it was pretty good. I have quite a few gripes but I can see why the series was a classic; as I watched the anime I felt that they ripped many elements and plot techniques of other anime titles when I realized that it was the other way around! For 1985 the series was groundbreaking and many enjoyed it.

The Macross Saga, at the end, like many anime series, leave a lot of questions to be desired. Episode 36 never specified what happened to Max or Miria. What happened to Exedor? (I have an idea) and the writer of Macross never explained what the hell happened to Britai. Like I said, a lot of unnecessary questions that were left unanswered. I can see in no way how leaving these questions unanswered will build any kind of suspense. The series in my opinion rushed a few things and attempted to go into detail explaining the lives of the characters; however they did not go deep enough for my tastes.

My gripes here. I have to say that although she is central to the story, I absoloutly hate Minmei. She is annoying, she is a brat and I was waiting for the creator to kill her off. Her voice is annoying and her singing makes my ears BLEED! They made my ears bleed 11 years ago and they STILL bleed!!!! Probably the biggest letdown is that Harmony Gold left out the original Japanese Audio and substituted it for spanish. I will understand the spanish sure but NO ORIGINAL AUDIO TRACK? That irritated me a lot. The intro screens were all the same for each series too with the same music. I understand about the lack of available openings however the Macross theme is BRANDED into and onto my brain: very annoying after a while. The art was fine: the anime was made in 1985 and that is acceptable. Rehashed and reused music really brought down the excitement of the series.

All in all I enjoyed the Macross Series: The dubbing was average and I really want to see the series in the original audio track. SDF-1 forever! Here is a trailer for the Shadow Chronicles: I can't remember how long ago this movie came out and I remember something "remotely" about it being released in the past.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hello :)

I just bought the entire macross saga DvDs. I was a child when this was out and I loved it. I totally agree about Minmei, what a stupid prat!!!

have you noticed a few things... they use the term online when they are referring to computers connected to some sort of wider net :) And they have a giant PC tower at the enemy's base!!!!

too bad they killed Roy Fokker so fast, he was my fav char (after Rick OFC)

greetings earthling ;)