October 5, 2007

My Aspirations of University Park; Working hard at Berks Campus




When I did my research in high school about Penn State I knew that it was the right school to further my engineering education. I actually took a trip to University Park and I really liked it, the thought of a large campus with rich history and 40,000 people there seemed really appealing to me. As I walked past the library I could see myself "Studying at Penn State". Well I fulfilled that aspiration, but not quite.
I am here at Berks and I am doing quite well. I switched my major over to EMET (Electrical-Mechanical Engineering Technology) to get two bits out of my engineering education- electrical engineering training and (mostly) mechanical engineering training. The EMET program was offered because of an increasing demand for engineers with a broader range of knowledge. Electrical is like peanut butter and Mechanical is chocolate, put them together and you get a recies cup.

I chose to switch over to EMET for a few good reasons. My main reason for switching over to EMET was because of the exceptionally high caliber of Mechanical Engineering students and a limited amount of degrees for Mechanical Engineering. Basically, every other guy that is better than me (and I consider myself smart) will attempt to bite my head off at University Park, and if I fall behind I am just a random statistic. The last thing I wanted to happen was for me to go to college for 4 years and not get a degree in mechanical engineering. Anyone below my caliber can be considered close, or done.

My second (but very good) reason for switching to EMET was because of the hands on experience that it gives you. Instead of crunching numbers into theories all day and pondering the abstract, EMETs are down there (and can do design work, too) making sure parts are working correctly, and offer any suggestions by working with other engineers to reverse engineer a part or machine. When I had engineering in mind, I had in mind designing, but I did NOT have in mind sittng in a cubicle from 9 to 5 drawing and adding complex theorms. I want some fun out of my job, not boredom. I am already working on a few projects and am looking forward to the project for EMET 330, a rocket. A ROCKET. I would rather build a rocket than debate the calculus over a wing design for an aircraft!



The third reason I switched over to EMET was because of the simplified math. Don't get me wrong EMETs use Calculus, but not as much of it as Linear Algebra, Algebra, or Trigonometry. I am doing very well in my math courses (84% average on homework for math) and I probably have a higher grade in the actual Trig class. Probably my biggest concern about college would be Calculus. I got a bit of it in high school (during Pre-Calculus) but I know if I dig my heels in and prepare for a bloody fight, I CAN get it and Calculus II done and over with. From there, my journey to being an engineer really starts with classes my junior and senior year almost all engineering courses all week, with a few Gen Eds. Mechanical Engineers are constantly using upper level calculus and can even go as far as Calculus III or IV.


Am I happy with the change? Absoloutly. I have found electrical engineering a lot of fun and it will certainly come in handy. I am getting hands on work here at the Berks Campus and I know a lot of my professors personally. I have heard at University Park that students are referred to by numbers, unless you see your professors during office hours. I have heard of all of these differences and my final verdict is that Berks Campus is a smaller and nicer campus to me. It may be small, but it packs a hell of a punch and has everything we need here. University Park is HUGE and I love the architecture of all the buildings, but ultimatly studying at a portion of our college with 40,000 students is a bit mind boggling. I will stay here at Berks for four years, but I definetly want to get some football tickets! I will be one of those rare graduates at Berks, most people move up to University Park after their sophomore year here.

No comments: