June 11, 2010

Family Tales: A Letter from Asbury Pless



Background:
Asbury Pless was one of my earliest ancestors, who lived from 1834 to 1863, where he died in a Union POW camp near Chicago. My connection to him is through my grandmother, whose maiden name was Christine Pless. Isaac Pless, one of my earliest known ancestors, had four sons:

Asbury Pless
Posey Pless
Harrison Pless
Henry Pless

I confirmed this information through Kin Folks [written by Rose Pless Case] and the Haywood County, NC 1850 Census records. In these records, all of Isaac's children were attending school. Asbury joined the Civil War at age 28 [Off the top of my head] and was stationed with his brothers in the 62nd Regiment, whom were stationed in Tennessee. During the war, he wrote many letters back home. I wanted to share one of those letters: it is only available through private records and Kin Folks.


"My dear wife and children, I am permitted by the kindness of God to write you a few lines will come safe to your kind hand and find you all well. I received your kind letter last night. I was glad to hear from you and to hear you was well. Cindy [his wife], I haven't much to write. Only the loss of two of our fellow soldiers. James Wooten died July 21 John T. Cathey died July 24. We mourn the loss of them. I hope they are better off today than we are. John T. Cathey said he was ready and willing to go. He told them he would die. I hated to see them buried here. I never want to be buried hereand I don't think I ever could die satisfied here.The company all wanted them sent home. They would have paid all the expenses but they had no chance to send them.The weather is so hot, we have hard times here, and no prospect of any better. SAs I see from what I can hear, the Yankees are getting the upper hand of us now. But I hope they won't keep it long. We haven't had to fight any yet, but I don't know how soon we will. I don't want to fight but if I have it to do, I don't care how soon. I want this war to come to a close, for you don't know how bad I want to come home every day that passes."


Asbury goes on to write his mother, and that he would need a new pair of pants when he returned home. Counting generations, Asbury was born 9 generations ago (before me). I should also note that Asbury's handwriting was beautiful, but hard to read. From family records, no evidence of owning slaves was found. The Pless family were a bunch of farmers, engineers and pastors. Asbury, from his letter resented the Civil War, and wanted to come home to family as soon as possible. It seems that the Pless family was very tight nit, taking care of each other.

2 comments:

Everett Stiles said...

Rob: What you didn't mention is that Uncle Asbury left five orphaned children at home...no welfare, no Aid to Families with Dependent Children, or food stamps. They had to have suffered..
cousin,
Everett Stiles

Rob said...

Wow really... it must have been rough. I know he died, but had no idea he had that many children left behind.