June 14, 2010

E3: Kinect Looks Interesting to Say the Least



As I was sitting around on vacation today, I just happened to turn on the TV and tune into E3 coverage. Microsoft was presenting stuff, so I figured it is worth watching. My parents asking me to go down to the boardwalk, I politely declined "no" and watched the program. Weeks back, I didn't hold high hopes for Project Natal. Now called "Kinect", Microsoft hopes to reach a pool of untouched gamers by introducing the concept of the human controller. I saw kinect in action for the first time, and the more I watched it, the more I changed my mind on the idea that Natal was just a rip off of Nintendo's technology.


I saw games such as "kinectables" and I wasn't really impressed. These games showcased Kinect technology, but didn't hold substance to make them interesting games for me. When they got to Star Wars and a Ferrari racing game, my mood immediately changed. LucasArts is producing the game obviously, and I got a 15 second glimpse at the new star wars game. It looks cool, and I want to see how they are going to pull it off. I have never tried Kinect, so I don't know what the immersion factor feels like. I liked that you could sit in the ferrari, and when kinect detected your head moving, you could look around the interior of the ferarri. If done correctly, like my friend said, third party support for Kinect could "one up" Nintendo.

I think X-box live stuff is a blatant Wii rip off, but Sony and Microsoft are doing it "better". How will Kinect change gaming? I don't think it will revolutionize gaming like Microsoft said it would. I detect a double standard, even if it was unintentional- if Kinect will revolunize gaming, why is it being marketed as an accessory? Then again, why does Nintendo release games with multiple controller compatability? Time will tell. I thought Natal would be a sink, but it looks like it can hold some water. Will it become another eye toy? The new Xbox 360 model looks sexy, but as long as there are more exclusive titles I like for the PS3, I am sticking with Sony there- I am on a budget and I cannot afford another console.

No comments: