June 15, 2010

Nintendo Reveals "The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword"


And I can't be more excited about it.

At E3 a few hours ago, Nintendo revealed its plans for the upcoming year. Aside from DS stuff, the game that I was concerned about was their Zelda release. Dubbed "Skyward Sword", Nintendo's new Zelda game features so long awaited features.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
+In Zelda: A Link to the Past, you could fire a beam of energy out of the Master Sword at full health. This feature returns in Zelda: Skyward Sword in a similar form.

+The Game's producer wanted a normal mode, but also a hard mode for more experienced players. I will be fully digesting both modes.

+The interface from Twilight Princess returns (the scrolling wheel for selecting items).

+The game features Wii Motion Plus, and will require more intuitive thought from the game player to solve Zelda's puzzles.

+The game appears cell shaded. I am not opposed to this style of art- if I want realistic graphics, I will play my PS3. Wind Waker was a huge success (surpassing or rivaling Ocarina of Time) so I have no doubt Nintendo can pull off a great title.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Part of Zelda's attraction is that it's an acquired taste. Hardcore gamers and casual gamers alike love the game for its appeal, but modern conformists will claim that Zelda "has nothing on today's modern shoot em ups and beat downs". Again, if I wanted a blockbuster thriller or Tom Clancy novel, I will turn to my PS3.

If you are "disappointed" by Zelda, you may want to just give it a try. Zelda is a lot like Final Fantasy: it's an acquired taste, and as a Zelda freak, I don't understand the lure and lore of Final Fantasy games.

I am looking for a thrilling adventure with an excellent story. The gameplay should be great too, and Nintendo knows how to roll with above-decent cell shaded graphics. Skyward Sword is a game I am really looking forward too. It is still in development though, and will be released in 2011.

No comments: