August 4, 2007

1/600 Yamato Complete




That's another one done, Houston.




I saw this kit at my local hobbystore 2 weeks ago and I had to pick it up: I have been itching to build a Yamato for some time now as a mini project so I don't tire out building my USS Costitution and another Sci-Fi kit. First Impressions The model was made by Arii, a Japanese company to my knowledge. The kit is of ok quality: definetly had to do some more sanding and cutting than I am used to but that is ok. The ship is a little less than 12 inches long at 1:600 scale. Complaints I am not a big crack on detail but I would have loved to see more detail with the bridge area. Again it isn't a big deal with me: I just like good looking ships.






There was a lack of locator pins so I had to be very careful cementing pieces together. I also think many of the pieces are way too small for me to handle (I havn't dealt with such a kit before) so it will be a lesson in patience and delicacy as I finish the home stretch with the Yamato. Trying something New This ship is my very first project experimenting with weathering.






I absoloutly LOVE the way the weathering/deck damage came out. The Yamato appears as she would be in combat. I used pastels as the source of weathering. Paint mistakes (When Tamiya paint is painted down over a previous coat and wiped, both coats come off) lead to the deck damage on the starboard side. I love the look and I will be weathering most of my models in the future.

No comments: