December 16, 2006

A Look Inside and Forward to: Penn State




A few months ago or so I took a look into Penn State as a College choice (of course now I got accepted). I got to go to Berks, and was sorely disappointed (because I did not get a full access tour- I only got very tiny tidbits). A few weeks after that, we went to University Park inside State College, PA. When we got there, especially in the middle of it, my jaw was near dropping. University Park is not only a campus, its an entire city among itself. I could honestly see myself here in the next few years walking to and from classes and living there, and it was totally where I wanted to be. Out of my reach due to SAT scores? Yup. All wasn't bitter sweet: My high caliber got me a very good chance to get in: but my SAT was extremely low which set off an alarm for a 3.8GPA student who got an 800 on their SAT (old scale score). No I don't cheat, lie, or copy, I am just not a test taker, and its my belief that the SAT is a crocked system for measuring POTENTIAL. Im veering off topic, so lets get back on course.


I got to revisit Berks and it actually is a pretty nice Campus. I used to live about an hour from there, so I know the area somewhat well. Across the street is a Barnes and Noble, an EB Games (YES THANKYOU LORD!!) a target, and a lot of other stores or restaurants that I didn't even expect: but look forward to (Chucky Cheese Pizza, Pizzeria Uno). I got my app in early, was accepted, and now I have a dorm room that I can live in with cable (not DSL so no more lag!!!). I am really looking forward to the experience of Penn State Berks, because it's a Penn State education, but a smaller size with more attention given to us by professors. They have a fresh bakery and deli, which is always a plus.




image courtesy of wikipedia.org. Thanks guys!



Im really looking forward to Penn State: because it's a place to learn: but its not a place where I want to "not be" like in high school. In fact, College isn't a thing like it, or so I hear. Thats a good thing in my case, because I am more than ready to come out of this fox hole of mine I am living in to protect myself. People bustling around, busy, in my same exact situation and trying to fit in? Sounds like my campus! No cliques? my kind of campus! Wake up at 10am and have classes at 1pm? my kind of campus! Room with someone of similar interests? my kind of campus! I need a vacation from life, and this seems like the right place to do it for 4 years. PENN STATE!!



No comments: