January 8, 2007

The Flatulator: The Finishing Leg







I have the body to the flatulator practically done. Ive tried adding rubber bands that go through the body and tie to both the axels and mousetrap for propulsion, however I have had numerous problems, the most problematic being 1) rubber bands snap 2) there is a kick back when rubberbands go flaccid 3) Rubber bands will not roll on axis. Ill explain what each are doing.


___________________________________________________________________
1) There is too much stress on the rubber band. Being under 1/4 inch thick, these rubber bands dont have a lot of surface area to hold extreme tension. They snap very easy. These are god rubber bands, not your newspaper ones.


2) Due to the elasticity of the rubber band. The flatulator kicks back (although not severely) about 6 to 8 inches when the rubber bands return to a normal, unused state.


3) The axes are rolling in the pocketed "loop" the rubber bands ceate. I have to fold the rubber band to get it started, and this helps to snap the rubber bands.
___________________________________________________________________



Being an Engineer, I need to come up with another method of doing this, and I have found my solution. Where yarn didn't work, I am gong to get some fishing line going. Its thin enough so that it won't slide, and its STRONG enough not to snap with the power of a mousetrap. The only other material that could really work would be 20lb kite string, which I don't have any to butcher (but I've got some). Once that is done, I am switching a front plate around to the front, punching five holes for various heighs, having a balloon stick out and touch the flame. Since the end of the balloon is technically inside the vehicle, balloon shards SHOULDN'T land everywhere, disqualifying the run as "leaving something behind". I won't be taping the final test runs, but I will let all of you guys know how the flatulator does. Now if I could only get the work ethic to go down right now and finish it...

No comments: