January 15, 2010

Unprepared for the College Experience?

A very common thing happens when people arrive at college: they are unprepared for the experience that awaits that academically and socially. I came into college as a very bright person; and I found that I was unprepared for the college experience; but education in high school (college prepatory, or "honors") courses used college level requirements for grading papers and assignments. This education helped me to prepare for college; it made the transition a whole lot easier. I find today, as a junior I can walk into almost any building and have to say hello to someone I know, may know, or don't know, and at least wave to someone. Your social network is so large at a 2600-3500 student campus that you can gain access to anything (well, almost) that you need. A few tips on college, from an engineering student's perspective:


+Pay attention in class, especially if it is material related to your major. You should have a genuine interest in the subject; and having a professor that explains it well helps one adjust even more. You may have times where you have a bad professor; I am in that boat now. Instead of scratching my head for hours, I am going to read the text, and if I don't understand it, go elsewhere to learn binary and hex. (Computer Science, bah).


+Do your work. Simple enough right? but sometimes, in college they don't require you to do the homework. This doesn't mean you should forget about it- at least try the homework, and ask for help if you didn't understand something. I did some math homework last night, and I have a few questions for the professor. He said he would come early to help out, so I will shoot him an email and we will meet 30 minutes before class (in the classroom) and go over problems. He is very accomodating. If you don't do the work, especially in math and engineering, you aren't going to "get it".


+Explore your hobbies (even if it is partying). If you can balance work, school and your other obligations with play (my case is video games) then you are contibuting to your overall health. On that note, stay healthy.


+Buy Textbooks second hand or online; don't be stupid. The bookstore charges an arm and a leg for books; I would have had to pay $460 for books this semester; online I paid $237. Anyone that knows basic arithmetic will know that is around 51% savings. Bad economy or not: it is more money in YOUR pocket.


+Ask questions. Ask why something works that way, or why a result is so. ASK! There is no "stupid question" other than the one not asked. You are here to understand the material, and by asking, you may have helped other people out, although this IS about you; it may have benefits down the road (study buddies? although I prefer to study alone, but I have teamed up before).


+ Keep a calendar and stick to your schedule. The syllabus is God for any course. A calendar helps me visually see when something is coming up for our club, and schedule around other things so I get my crackers AND my cup of tea.


+ A TI-83, TI-84, or TI-89 OR above is one of the best investments I have ever made, along with the associated "For Dummies" book.

No comments: