September 16, 2008

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed- Two Thumbs Up

crappy cell phone picture- Vader visits Gamestop!


Star Wars: The Force Unleashed was released early Tuesday morning here around the local Gamestop and I already preordered my game. A gentleman walked through the locked front door (?) and out came Darth Vader! The Force Unleashed was released across multiple platforms and I bought the Wii version. The graphics leave a bit to be desired, but all in all this game is boss. The fights are a little too easy but the cinematics are enjoyable. I also like picking up stormies and throwing them into walls, or throwing things like parts to a wall at stormies. More on this a bit later- I must head to class.


The Force Unleashed has you playing as one of Darth Vader's apprentices. Your missions are to go around the galaxy hunting the last of the Jedi Order. Because Vader wants to keep your presence secret from the Emperor, you are free to kill Imperials or Rebels (like the Sith give a flying hoot about the Empire). The game has a lot of story to it and it is a lot of fun- LucasArts did a good job with the cinematics in style with the movies and other video games. You see stormie helmets on top of clone armor, and since this game takes place inbetween Episodes III and IV the empire is transitioning to regular soldiers over the clone troopers. The AT-ST and AT-ATs have also been developed by the game's timeline.


Some of the moves you can pull off are just sadistic. I love holding enemies with a choke then force throwing my lightsaber into their gut! I also like the force repulse which sends a group flying if they gang up on you. I love force lightning and force pommel- during force pommel you hold someone and then smack them with nearby objects. The game has been easy for the most part, but Darth Phobus was somewhat of a challenge for me until I went back and learned the mechanics of the game. I completed the tutorial and had little problems beating her.


This is a must for Star Wars fans and I think the casual gamer is gonna like it too. The sick moves and strategy will attract hard core gamers- so all in all this game should be a hit, but not quite the hit of Halo, SSBBrawl or Metal Gear Solid 4. I have yet to investigate the duel mode, and a few people on campus are complaining about a lack of co-op and 4 player abilities. The co-op omission makes sense- Vader won't have two apprentices. I would have liked to see 4 player in the duel mode though (multiplayer). The graphics are good for Wii standards, but not gorgeous. Xbox 360 owners are going to love the look of this game.


Pick it up- you (and I) are gonna have a lot of fun with it.




No comments: