May 26, 2008

Honoring Those Who I Have My Life To Thank For

Going to College. Living at home- being able to go where I please, think what I please and be what I am. This is independence- and freedom. These things were not just given to me- they were paid for with blood and bullets. I am honoring those 1,000,000+ soldiers who have died (since the Revolutionary War) by giving my sincerest thank you for protecting my life, the lives of others and the doctrine of the country. Most important of all, you have allowed those who are strong to have a future. Completely disregarding politics, the world as it is now, and societal norms, you have allowed a future for those who wish to seek it. I have the deepest respect for servicemen and women, veterans, and most of all the war dead. There is nothing higher than giving your life to protect something.

Throughout the day today I will remember all the sacrifices we have made, all the triumphs, losses and wars. I won't celebrate Memorial Day because that does not make sense, and I won't mourn because this is a day of honor. I strive to be the best person I can be, but find I can never match the integrity that those who paid their lives had.

No comments: