January 7, 2008

Visit to the USS New Jersey: Part 2 of X (Anchor Room and Misc Quarters)



Here is a picture of the anchor room- which I believe they just opened to the public about a year ago. Inside houses the hydraulics and motors for lowering and raising the anchor- a monumental task since these anchors weigh so much- they need to keep a 45,000 ton ship at a standstill. Next time I am on the ship I will ask approximatly the maximum length of the anchors.
















Here is a closer shot of some of the hydraulics in the anchor chain room. I think the pipe in the background is for water/heating/cooling of the crew quarters.












This is an odd hatch I found around exiting the anchor room- I can only guess that it leads to other compartments or areas that are around the area under turret #1. The area is more than likely classified so I have no idea what is down there- the museum is fighting the navy to unlock access to more of the ship- I will ask my next trip but I believe 40% of the ship still remains classified- the latest bit they almost have unlocked is the engine room- however insurance companies are going crazy when they hear that news.



Off-topic photo but I love this photo.



Facing the Aft section of the ship this stairwell leads up right under the main part of the superstructure. It is off limits but I think I remember passing through there... who knows on a ship like this!


Admirals Quarters- not too shabby at all. It's a Queen sized bed too.



No comments: