January 22, 2008

More Shenannigans with Gateway





Wow..... here is another post dedicated to slamming gateway and their NX860-XL laptop line of computers.

We just got the laptop back (week 9 of the affair) at my Dad's office and he fiddled around with it (booted the machine up, browsed internet, etc) and the computer froze, again. The previous time they had the computer in the C:drive was re-imaged. Instead of replacing the C Drive, Gateway decided to completely gut the fan and cooling system and replace it. Looks like that solved a lot- under the error description Gateway claimed "Laptop prone to heat failure". When I had this machine, it shut itself down properly twice due to overheating. When the computer froze it was still running: it sounded like it was still running.

The problem isn't necessarily tech support- it is the maintenance crew that services and repairs the machines. We have given them this computer twice and they have failed to fix it. I can take the bait and understand failing it once, but twice? I am not such a forgiving gentlemen or customer. We contacted tech support yet again, and after week 9 they know us pretty well by now. Tech support is baffled as to what is going on, and now they claim there is a motherboard failure. At this exact point in time I would love to know what the problem is- but I would rather own a new computer.

The machine costs $1800 USD and I have to say it was absoloutly NOT worth every penny I paid for it. A brand NEW laptop failed within 3 months off of the assembly line and maintenance can't even fix the problem. Hell what's worse, Gateway refuses to give us our money back- so my father and I were jipped $1800 by a multi-billion dollar corporation that refuses to admit they f****d up, apologize and replace the machine. If they would have replaced the machine with an apology, I would have forgiven them and probably continued to purchase Gateway products.

Quite honestly, if I cannot trust the communication between myself, tech support and between tech support and maintenance then I cannot trust that they will service my machine properly and I will take my future business elsewhere. Gateway is sending out a live tech person on site to diagnose the computer, and this will be their last chance with the machine. I have backed out on the laptop and I give up: I am never going to deal with this laptop again whether it is fixed or not. Tech support is doing a "good" job of attempting to repair the computer, and I thank them for that, but the job isn't being done right. I hate to sound hard on this but I expect the computer to work and I expect full product support to the extent of replacing the machine. I will let my Gateway Home PC finish out it's lifespan and when I buy a new PC, or Mac, it will certainly not be a Gateway. Great Customer Service, just hire competent technicians who can diagnose the computer. It's like pulling teeth: replace the damn machine and all the problems go away.

Also, although my father said he would pull every Gateway from his offices and I recognize that that was an empty threat, the fact that I might contact the Better Business Bureau and my father the General Attorney in San Fransisco is not.

No comments: