January 19, 2008

1/700 USS Washington and DD445 Fletcher Progress



I have been so busy this week with classes that I have really just driven myself completely nuts. Having no time for anything fun and having a rough 2 months, I decided this evening to kick start my USS Washington, USS North Carolina and a DD445 Fletcher class build. I am attempting to model a scene of the ships sailing off the coast of Guadal Canal during World War II, so unfortunatly I could not fit in a LLC inside the display because the time frames would be inappropriate.

I wanted to add a 1/700 USS New Jersey, however I don't think that the North Carolina class ever sailed with an Iowa class battleship. I need to figure out the maximum speed of the Fletcher in order to determine the wake I want to simulate and the amount of water foaming up against the hulls. I started this evening simply by painting the decks of the USS Washington with one coat of deck tan and the decks of the Fletcher a gunship gray. Hopefully tomorrow I can paint another coat of deck tan on the Washington then begin constructing the very tiny Fletcher. I have one picture at the moment and I will attempt to add more as I go along.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stumbled across your posting this morning. The designed top speed of Fletcher class destroyers was generally 33-35 knots, although some were known to squeeze out a few more. Also, you are correct in that there were no Iowa class Battleships present off of Guadalcanal at this stage in the Pacific war. Good luck with your ship building!

Dylan Mroszczyk-McDonald
National Park Ranger,
Boston National Historical Park, USS Cassin Young