September 1, 2007

More Japanese Culture is being imported to America


WHICH IS FREAKIN FANTASTIC!

I went down today to get my mom a birthday present and I noticed a new Japanese shop opened nearby. It was in Japanese characters, and I thought it was katakana (looked like it?) so I went in. The owner was very polite and after a quick misunderstanding (lol he spoke English after I look puzzled) I talked with him about he had just opened up in town and wanted to import things from Japan to sell here in the states. They had everything from Japanese cuisine to magazines, almost anything Japan! I went in the back and my heart nearly exploded. RAMUNE!!!!!


I picked up two cases that had 6 bottles each (sorta like budweiser 6 packs of old) and I forked over a lot of money for them, but I wanted to taste ramune. They were $2.99 a pop so the cases came out to be $35.88! Expensive but it is something from Japan! I was so amazed. For 10 minutes I fidgeted with the bottle, I couldn't get the marble to go in ^^. Looking at the bottle I figured out that the cap was a puncher, and suddenly the marble popped in, a cold fizz came out of the bottle and the marble had carbonated bubbles around it. Ramune is a carbonated soft drink from Japan and has to be one of the best drinks I have had the pleasure of drinking- it's great! It tasted carbonated like one should, but had a burst of melon (I got melon flavor, but they had blueberry, strawberry and melon at the time) and it was amazing. For some reason the taste was also very unique- maybe it is a unique taste to Japan but part of the taste I had never tasted before.

It is only 6.6oz (less than a can of pepsi) but it is great stuff. I don't want to get addicted on the stuff (expensive addiction!) but I will save it only for "special" occasions. I really hope in the future that Ramune, and other fine Japanese goods- continue to flow into America so anime fans and curious people alike can get a taste (pun intended) of Japanese culture. Two years ago I could not get this stuff in the United States.

No comments: