February 1, 2013

Little Caesar's Pizza



I've been meaning to add this chain to the list of pizza, but haven't been able to. I picked up a pie there not too long ago and ate around half of it.

Store Presentation
Not that customers will care too much, but it was a walk in and pick up a pie kind of counter store. No restaurant or anything. It was clean and well stocked- except for the pizzas everybody in line in front of me just bought (the stocked portion of the quip!).

Wait Time
Caesars promises a no wait time, but realistically I waited 5-7 mins for my pie because they ran out of the ready-to-go ones to the five or so individuals in front of me. I did not mind waiting and fully understand that rushes happen.

Taste and Consistency
The taste has a sort of zest to it- and I can't really nail down the sort of zest it is in comparison to other brands of pizza. It tastes like tomato, has its own hint of some kind of spice, but it isn't overt on the senses and tastes fairly good (hint- I like flavors that are overt, too!). The consistency was perfect for what a New York style pizza should be. Not too much sauce, not too much cheese. Consistency is big with pizza. I'd know- I made them on the job some time ago.

The crust is excellent, and slightly chewy. Solid and edible, but it has a slight give to it, which is what you want. There may have been a hint of spice on the crust- whatever it was it tasted good.

Varieties
Caesars has a good variety of specialty pizzas going on- and I do believe they have Vegetarian options. For veggie eaters only, this is a good move. They have some good varieties, but I wouldn't mind calling ahead and being charged per topping. Just a suggestion. The specialty pizzas sell for a little under $10 before taxes, which is fair for a pizza of that size and quality. For the cheese, sausage and peperoni straight options, it's $5. That is boss, especially if I have stuff at home I can add to the pie.

Price
Drop dead awesome. $5.34 (after taxes) for a standard 14" pie. I can't argue with that. At the rate it's going, it is a serious contender for value pizza of the year award. Value pizzas aren't necessarily mediocre- it just means the taste for the price is excellent. Where the heck was Little Caesars when I was in college? dang. (I haven't seen many of them on the east coast). They are plentiful in the midwest in Michigan, Missouri, Iowa, Wisconsin and Illinois. If I ask for jalapenos next time, which they have, I wonder if they'll throw it on for an extra $1-2? My instincts say yes.

Recommendations to Peers
Would I buy from Little Caesars again? it's imminent. Would I recommend Little Caesars to a friend looking for good budget pizzeria food? yes I would. I would recommend it over Dominos, Papa Johns, and if I was in the mood- even over Pizza Hut. The next closest comparable brand is Tombstone pizzas- which are sold in grocery stores. Little Caesars tastes less fattening and bloated than Tombstone. While I like Pizza Hut, Caesars tastes less fattening than the Hut probably because Caesars uses less LARD. Dominos has gotten too pricey now-a-days because they think their improvements warrant a price increase. It's nice to see Caesars sticking it to the man. Pun intended- the mascot sticks a pie with a spear.

Suggestions for Little Caesars
If there isn't an option for call ahead or requests on ingredients- you should implement that. Put a sign somewhere that lists what ingredients you have on site. My biggest suggestion would be to offer stuffed crust options, even if there is a price increase. You had deep dish pizza- that was a good move and I should try it sometime.

I'd bite again. Definitely

Grade: B+


No comments: