February 3, 2013

Wave 1 Red Parts in Error; Fixed and Air Drying

The other day I thought it would be a clever idea to primer wave 1 of the red parts in black to darken the insignia red (since the red itself was too light). I didn't like the effect I got- the humidity was high and my brush was spitting. In addition, the paint went on with a orange tint to it that I did not like at all. When I tested the paint on stunt cock (an old tank model), after 10 minutes of curing I did like the combo, BUT the consistency was awful.

The only way to fix this is to strip every wave 1 part of paint, re-sand the parts then apply a layer of black/red mix (1 part flat black to 1 part insignia red). I really don't feel like driving out to pick up two bottles of paint, so I will mix what I have, as I was happy with the result, but not the initial consistency. It is a mistake that cost me 2.5 hours, but if you are gonna do it right, do it right.





The parts are air drying now. I am going to take a nap then head back down there and mount the parts. After that I will attempt to repaint this wave of parts, barring the 84% humidity. I will try to clean the moisture trap often. It's the cost of business building model kits in the winter. Non-ideally the next best day to paint is next Wednesday since the temperature will increase two fold to 32 degrees fahrenheit (what the hell, that's how you spell fahrenheit?). I am not that patient here.

No comments: