April 12, 2008

USMC Visitor to the Penn State Berks Campus



I was out the other day because of the beautiful weather, and out of nowhere a fighter jet pops up above my head! At first I thought it was an F-15 Eagle but it was a USMC FA-18 Hornet. I was suprised by just how loud those turbofans are! He was circling around the Reading Airport doing landing runs for practice, which is a common practice for any jet fighters that come our way. This year we have been graced by the presence of an F-117 Nighthawk, C-17 Globemaster, a pair of A-10 Warthogs, a B-52 Stratofortress (better not have had any nukes on it) and now an FA-18 Hornet. So "what is with all the military fighters lately!" I think I found the answer. Penn State Berks must be a common intersecting point on many training mission flight paths because we get "frequent" guests that fly over the campus, including an almost daily sighting of a military SH-60 Blackhawk helicopter.

No comments: