June 25, 2008

Oh, That Which I Crave is Blue and White

I'm by no means a slacker- I am bored this summer and couldn't find a better image.



I am getting very BORED this summer, and hopefully work tomorrow will keep me busy until the end of August. I love Penn State! I love burying my nose in the library for 3+ hours! I love my major! I love talking to professors and other people within my field! I like playing with things that can very well kill me! GAH I WANT TO GO BACK TO THE UNIVERSITY NOW. It is a heartbreak to be away from campus this long, and it has been what, a month and a half since I completed my last final?





I am so eager to start that I am pre-reading the text for the next few courses! The nice thing about some of these courses is that the sister course uses the next half of the book you had the previous semester- so I will use "The Fundamentals of Manufacturing" not only for IET 101, but for IET 215 and IET 216 as well. To get the best kick start to my next semester, I am going to read my notes again and make sure I am ready to tackle stuff like CNC coding, Axial Loads, Shear Stress of shafts (I had no idea there was shear stress exerted throughout a shaft until I read the book! I figured there was some kind of stress).





Since I am not taking Calculus I this semester, I am saving myself a miserable semester and I will be about as productive (a little more productive) this semester than last semester- they are throwing in MET 206 now which is Dynamics (study of moving bodies). Semester 4 (Spring 2009) is where things get hard. EET 114, Calculus I and two other courses which I can't recall the names of. 4 classes! Why should I be complaining! Because Calculus, especially at Penn State is really friggin' hard. Electrical Engineering isn't my strong point either- I am somewhat weak with it and it is one of the subjects I will buckle down on this summer and over Winter 2008 break.





I SHOULD be taking Calculus I this semester (semester 3) but it will put me on overload. Taking this summer was supposed to fulfill the credit- and unfortunately in week (3) of 6 it became statistically impossible to pass (I had to get 90's when I was scoring 70's even on a curve) so I had to drop the course. I feel bad about it, but many people that were in that class said this was their 2nd or 3rd time taking Calculus I. The instructor also did something that really pissed me off- and I won't go into details about it. So I may be set back a little bit- as long as semester 5 has courses that are not dependant on me passing Calculus II then I am fine. If not, or I must pass Calc II by the end of semester 4, then I am in trouble. I may need to add an extra year to getting my degree to pass. The benefits- hey I get a year off, but the bad is that I am not learning and that I would be behind. Many people take extra time to finish, however.





Luckily Semester 3 is just a sweater and not a nail biter. I plan on working hard and I would like to get in the library even more often to bury myself in research journals, technical articles and news that surrounds the realm of Engineering. Boredom is my enemy right now- I like to keep going and I want to continue to learn all that I can. A month max is all I need to recharge and prepare myself for what lies ahead. I am addicted to this stuff! I want to keep going and I want to get better. Year 1 opened a whole new world to me, and I have three to go (let's hope).

No comments: