May 21, 2008

Enjoying the Enterprise

Well it's been a couple of days since the formal start of this build and so far I like where the build is going. I'm a little frustrated that some of the mica red paint job didn't come out too well, but there is a solution- I just don't want to do it. Actually, I have had a lapse of boredom today and I did not get to work on the Enterprise. I think this is my cue to begin working on other projects I have not touched- but I do want to do a couple of things with the Enterprise later today, namely fix the motor setup (I glued one in the wrong place, don't want to rip it up because I had a hard time doing so and I don't want to damage the hull) and begin the process of mounting the prop shafts and painting the props. Once that is complete I can begin worrying about painting the bootline and then completing the rudder system.


The rudder system is complex and will require a unique solution. The upper peg needs to be drilled out and a rod inserted down into the shaft to lengthen the rudder. This brass shaft will come up through the hull where I will shorten it and bend the rod 90 degrees. Since the rod may rub up against the interior peg, I will lubricate the area as well as the entire shaft to make sure of a tight, yet free moving motion for the rudder. This ship contains not only one rudder, but two. Double the trouble. I have tried to seal the brass rod and the rudder with plumber's goop and that didn't work too well- so I will need to find an incredibly strong metal to plastic adhesive if guerilla glue doesn't work. Maybe I did not force enough pressure into the rudder- then again it is going in pretty hard.


The rudders will then be connected to two independent rods which will be joined to a cross rod, and at the center of this cross rod will be the arm that connects to the steering mechanism. It's kind of like a fork design, except the fork is two prongs.


Thinking about this a little more, I do have one more design feature to overcome. I would like to build bulkheads inside the hull right in front of the motors. I can drill holes with the pin vice so that the motor shafts fit directly through the styrene, then I can have the prop shaft and motor shafts bound with heat shrink tubing. When heat is applied, the tubing grips whatever is inside it and the shafts will be bound to each other. This recommendation is all thanks to my roommate- I needed a material that could withstand the rotational friction of the motors and this stuff works perfectly.


I will probably need to float test this baby to analyze exactly how it were to sink if it were to. This is very important information in regards to bulkhead protection. I should probably do this after the motor bulkheads are installed to prevent any electronics damage (I will have to cut a hole for the steering later as well). According to my guess, the ship will become heavy with water in the stern section and slowly sink downwards from there, bringing the bow upwards. The tub isn't that deep so from there she will just fill up with water. These tests are important because this will determine what course of action I need to take in regards to the grease box issue (ahh great, I forgot I need to build those too). If there is massive water intrustion, something may need to be done about it. Exterior boxes may need to be installed to stop water intrusion at the sacrifice of historical accuracy- but hey we need to get her running!


Hopefully after that I can finish painting the deck tie downs and then I can begin adding details and working on those. I need to pin vice small holes for the arresting hooks and install them as well. The kit came with some stuff but I think I'll use nylon thread (taught) instead. This will be easy because I can tie tight knots under the deck. Much later on comes the dreadful painting process of assembling and painting EVERY aircraft.... I want to work on the Enterprise, its just lately I have had a lack of motivation, and I have been very bored.

No comments: