September 29, 2006

Maintinence and Refurbishing: Firebird Line

I am currently in the process of refurbishing, repainting and re-oiling both "Firebird" and "Return of Firebird" (aka Firebird I and Firebird II) in preperations for the construction of "Revenge of Firebird", or Firebird III. Our Engineering stuff was just offloaded and the Tech Ed department is LOVING it. I expect by next wednesday we will be placing orders for our C02 cars, and begin construction immediatly.


I went over the plans last night and (of course) found Firebird III to be illegal at phase 3 of its design. What I did to improve the car (and make it legal!)

-Extended Body Bottom to fix the height to match legal standards
-Moved front axel ever so slightly down so we don't have wheel imbalance.
-Extended the nose to proportionally fit the new extended bottom
-Extra Space for Wheels. Even with spacing 5-6mm exist of wood for impact shock.
All of these things improve the car at the SLIGHT cost to maneuverability and aerodynamics. In short, if the car is constructed correctly, we will have one kick arse machine to beat. My goal and intentions, this year is to go directly after my teacher, who has had 20 years or so experience doing this. I looked at some of the other blueprints in the classroom, and so far I do not see anything that will be aerodynamically significant on the racetrack. It's my belief that my car will not only win the class competition, but I will also tie or beat the teacher. Time to get working.

No comments: