January 8, 2006

1/350th U.S.S. New Jersey began



Whew! Got 4 models I am working on right now and this would be one of them. A very nice Christmas gift, this is a Tamiya 1/350th Scale U.S.S. New Jersey Ship Model. Tamiya is well renound for their quality paint (I swear by it and Testors for my airbrush) and their kits are of high quality (very few imperfections if any, instructions VERY lego basic, helpful, tips, etc). A little background history on the ship in question:



The Battleship New Jersey (BB-62) came into being on 7 December 1942 when it was launched. Second of the four IOWA class dreadnaughts built for use during the second world war, the New Jersey has had the longest service life and been active in four major conflicts. Her first assignment was primarily antiaircraft defense of the carrier task force working from Ellice Island during the Pacific war campaign. The BB-62 took part in all of the actions against the Japanese forces from 23 May 1943 to the end of that conflict. All Iowa class battleships had a beam of less than 110 feet in order to navigate through the Panama canal, and is what gives these ships the sleek speedy appearance. Produced from a Fast Battleship Design Study done in May 1938, it was proposed to be a 56,604 ton displacement vessel with a top speed of 33 knots, and main armament of 9 16"/50 caliber guns in triple turrets. Armament protection was to be from 16" projectiles. It had a range of 15,000 nautical miles at 15 knots.

Here is my most recent picture I took of the hull. It has a nice "kandy" effect to it, however if you look closely the masking tape did not hold as good as I thought it would. I will be patching up the red paint work, mask off the gray, and apply a finish to the red bottom, then let that dry, mask that up, and respray a gray the best I can. You can also see my completed GINN in the corner there (still looks nice! has only collected a little dust). More to come once I get this really started.

No comments: