January 15, 2013

Kicking Soda, Day 0

Soda is great stuff, I'm not going to lie. It was originally marketed as a health elixir in the 30's and soon became outrageously popular in the late 40s and 50s to today. It is also full of sugar, often caramel, HFCS, and sometimes aspartame. Years ago I kicked a diet coke habit only to replace it a few years later with a regular soda habit.

Don't misunderstand me. I am not a health nazi and I am not going to tell you you are a bad person for drinking soda. There is nothing wrong with drinking soda every now and then. When you drink it daily, it begins to become an issue. I drink around 2-3 12oz cans a day, sometimes 4 or more.

I am kicking the habit for a couple of reasons, outlined below, in order.

1) I will NOT let someone or something be the master of me (except for the future misses).
2) I need to lose weight to lower my blood pressure, as I am a walking time bomb of pressure.
3) Soda is killing me and especially my liver, comparable to an alcoholic, as indicated by my doctor.
4) If coke can clean a f****** tire rim of dirt, why am I putting this on my teeth, let alone in my system?

I'm not into running a crash course diet that will make me unhappy. Screw that stuff. I am here to make slow and necessary changes that will leave me better off, reassert my self control and still have room to enjoy the foods I like to eat. I wouldn't be surprised if a soda addiction contributes to depression.

On this blog you will be able to follow my 30 day detox. The length of the detox may extend, depending. You can follow me, my thoughts and my experiences until I kick the habit. I am going cold turkey. I do not recommend this tactic. I don't want to slow consumption down and then crave it knowing I will get sparser amounts, so I am kicking it completely, tonight. I already finished my last soda.

I will be replacing the soda habit with water. I am going to look into quick, easy and healthy ways to mix my favorite non-alcoholic cocktail- raspberry/pineapple/peach/mango (or a combination thereof) and have that to enjoy rather than soda. The ultimate goal is to kick the habit, not stop drinking soda entirely. I still want to be able to enjoy one on dinners out or at parties.

My will to conquer this is stronger than the need to drink. I will demonstrate this willpower, but it will require concentration, meditation and understanding.

My doctor will also bitch at me less :3

No comments: