February 22, 2011

Back into Solidworks!

My, I get to go back into the world of Solidworks for an art project! This is a quick example of what I am working on: this little thing I made here is not for credit- I did a 1:1 scale of the Pantheon in Solidworks, and "Bob", my mannqeuin, will have 1000 dopplegangers I am placing all around the temple, providing pictures of cutaways and... bob is really there to show scale.

Let's go over how I made an aqueduct: it's a primitive way of transporting water through ancient cities (was it really primitive, or over engineered?).



Here, I am working on the arch work. This is easy to accomplish with solidworks- I work with arches all the time. A few mirrored sketch entities later, and it will be complete. NOTE: The top is not perfectly flat, and neither were all of the aqueducts. Aqueducts needed a gradient to help the water flow downwards, otherwise, what is pushing it?


The resulting extrusion. Note that I will fix the column widths later.


Seriously, I oughta complain to IT, because the computers in this lab have texture packs, and some don't. I found a nice texture pack for stone, so I will use that as a "skin" for my aqueduct.


Cutting out the notch for water to flow through. Back to what I was saying earlier. As a designer, I would rather gouge out the notch here on a gradient rather than build the structure taller/shorter to accomodate the water.


Showing the extrusion cut process for the channel/notch.


Fixed column width. For all intents and purposes, you can stop here.


But to show function, I added a square part (that was modeled transparent blue) to show where the water would flow. Cool, huh? Another interesting tidbit: People would actually steal water from the aqueducts by diverting the water through a primitive "pipe" or channel wherever they wanted it to go. Kind of like stealing cable.

No comments: