May 13, 2010

Remember Your Internet Security...



...because I got hijacked and hacked.

win32.prolaco.p is an absolute pain in the ass. It stopped my anti virus software, and any time I tried to execute a command, such as opening a window or a document, I would be reminded of an attack on my computer. It reminded me of viruses too- all of which probably do not exist. Prolaco, which harbors Data Protection, is a rogue malware program designed to trick you into paying for a service that will get rid of viruses- created by the service you just paid for to protect.

Now I am not a dummy- I knew something was wrong. The program even popped up a window similar to windows security center, telling me my firewall was deactivated when it was actually running just fine (or was it?). This trojan has cost me 4 hours of my life I will never get back, and has shown that the following programs fail at detecting new viruses:

Symantec
Norton
Avast
Adaware/Lavasoft

but the following program notified me of a risk:

Symantec

but would not act on the risk. Spybot detected the risk and removed Prolaco from my machine. I am doing a clean sweep now before I reconnect my external hard drive, and then I am clean sweeping that for any malicious code. Prolaco is a type of trojan that can repair itself if only partially removed.

No comments: