November 25, 2008

Back Testing Decks




Back Testing anything in life is always a good and sure bet. Whether it is stocks, card games or data it is always good to check your strategy. In the World of Warcraft TCG, back testing allows me to see my decks strategy and from there improve upon its weaknesses.



For example, I played myself a game tonight with Bulkas Wildhorn vs. Nathressa Darkstrider. Bulkas's main problem was that he couldn't get out the taurens he wanted because they were too expensive. To boot, Nathresssa was playing cards that allowed her to draw quickly for the blades of azzinoth in her deck as well as protectors such as hovin and her shadowmeld allies.



Ilandre Moonspear- This Ally requires a night elf, which Nathressa is. You can exhaust him to put your hand on the bottom of your deck and then draw that many cards. I had my doubts about this card until I was in the middle of a game- I could use him to search for the remaining sword of azzinoth in my deck. Unlike Bixy, if Ilandre is damaged I can still use him. Having one or two more of him would be nice- I will put it on my hunt list.



Bubula del Kissel- a quick and cheap stealth card. I can also exhaust him to make Nathressa have stealth for the turn, a big advantage when I can only use her cost 1 hero ability once. I need more Bubulas, or perhaps I have 3? I can't remember.



Lose Control- a new card to the drums of war set. This is a dual class ability that can be used in a priest deck or rogue deck. Priests are infamously known as discard decks and masters of hand control- Lose Control randomly discards a card. The cost is very worth it- I need more of this card, one or two more for this deck.



Lolly the Unsuspecting- I thought this card was junk until I brought it into play. Some cards let your opponent choose what to discard, with Lolly you have to discard randomly, adding an element of panic. Lolly can also randomize whether or not an ability hits my hero or one of my multiple allies. This is a huge plus where if a card singles out "target hero or ally" Lolly forces a random choice, possibly protecting my hero.



Tinker Bixy Blue- I like playing Bixy when my opponent is backed into a corner and is afraid of attacking, or he is not able to. I will keep exhausting Bixy to draw a card and help in hand control. If his hero is the only one that can attack and he attacks Bixy- well he just wasted an opportunity to damage my hero.



Mugger's Belt- more hand control later in the game.



Warglaive of Azzinoth- the game seal of the deck- I will kill with these especially with two. I must obtain a second and third set for this deck and I will be hard to beat. Low cost to use, more for the middle of the game, at turn 5-7 I can have the game over with if I am lucky. These cards just friggin' rock.



Order Must be Restored (Quest)- Again to add pressure and help me to draw cards.



Priestess Katianna- a staple elusive character I use. I have 3 or 4 in my deck.



Hovin- with 9 health, he is key to protecting Nathressa when Bulkas or any other warrior/paladin gets in enough allies to overwhelm my hero. Low cost of 3, its an amazing card. When opponents play Hovin, I have Bubula del Kissel to get some damage in while I take out Hovin, OR I will attack with my weakest allies until he blocks the strongest one, sometimes opponents panic and just block one when I unload with the rest. If I am facing three Hovins, sheesh.....



Crown of the Earth- 2 for 1 with Night Elfs. Gotta have this card.



Theres the basic nuts and bolts to my Rogue deck- I want to add some more combo cards and definitely add the blades of azzinoth, however one must remember that the more cards you add, the less chance you will draw what you need....

No comments: