August 27, 2007

Roomate Moving In

So I woke up this morning and chilled out for a bit watching TV. Our group leaders came knocking on everyones door like they did yesterday morning for everyone to get out of bed and head down to the cafĂ© for breakfast. I decided to go down because I wanted some food anyways, but I knew everyone else would ignore the leader and go back to sleep (lol). I walked by someone just as I entered tullys and he said “It’s too BLEEP early for this”. I remember chuckling as I said thankyou (he held the door open) and went in. I figured ok I will have cereal for breakfast (sigh) but then I walked by the breakfast nook and almost went bonkers. Buttered Jam, Toast, French Toast, Coffee, Scrambled Eggs, Bagels, Bacon, Orange Juice, Milk, Home Fries, Oh my Gosh I was in breakfast heaven.

From now on before early classes I am heading down there for some great eats. I got some orange juice, three pieces of bacon, a side of scrambled eggs (I havn’t eaten them since I was a kid) and some home fries. All of the breakfast food was actually delicious, the bacon was crunchy and perfect and the home fries were warm and tasty. The scrambled eggs tasted homemade (maybe the cook is a mom, she was a lady though) and the orange juice didn’t quite taste like concentrate, while I can’t say if it was fresh either. I was full and went back up to my dorm, thinking about how I could burn off such a fantastic breakfast. I have been playing with my TV remote and finally got it to work with both my DVD player and my TV, a fantastic accomplishment because I am horrible at programming TV sets. Maybe they have made it easier now that we are in the future.


I still don’t have internet and it is FANTASTIC that the IT Guys would come to my room to help me out. Apparantly I am not getting an IP address although I am connected to the Penn State network. Since University Park changed t a new system they told me that there were glitches in the system here, and they suspect it could be the ethernet outlet in my room. Once my roomate arrives we are going to head down and see if we can get him online. If not there is an issue with our room. They suspect the problem to be on their end.


People are starting to move in and I have had my door open to say hi to the two girls moving in next door to the right and two guys moving in across the hall. They all seem really nice, and opening my door to greet someone is not exactly my style: but I have no problem doing it- I think Penn State has had a healing effect on me as I transition into college. I have been doing a lot better today than the past two days: I’m up and about doing stuff and I am enjoying myself. My roomate is driving up from Harrisburg so when he calls I am gonna head out and help him move in (as a kind gesture, then he told me he is driving alone with all his stuff- hehe he is going to need some help). I can’t wait to help him out, get to know him, and I hope he doesn’t mind that I took the bed closest to the window =p. First dibs!


Soon after my roomate began to move in and I went out to help move some of his stuff in. He is a really nice guy and works to restore old trains down near Harrisburg Pennsylvania. He is also an avid enthusiast in HO Scale train layouts, and I learned quite a bit from him about trains. Lionel were more toy trains and sacrificed historical accuracy, while HO scale can be an accurate representation of realistic cars and locomotives. We settled in, he had a soda and I had one and we talked about his job, my job, what we were here for and we showed each other stuff we had been working on. He showed me a few photos of his layout he was building for a train yard and I showed him some of the work I have done on my models and the videos of Rage and Revenge of Firebird (see C02 Cars). He talke to me about the electro/mechanical degree at Penn State and told me some key differences. In normal degrees you sit behind a drawing board designing from scratch, but electro/mechanical engineering offers a hybrid of both and more “field hands on” experience, which is what I prefer. Anything at this point is open to me.


We went down for dinner and ran into the Luerssen Building to the police office so he could get a new tag for his camry. We finished up dinner and headed for an event in the local auditorium: a hypnotist was to put on a show and my roomate said he had a good run last year. The show was HILLARIOUS. Volunteers from the audience were selected and were hypnotised to do hillarious things. Barney trash talked them and “he said summin nasty bout my momma” or when a guy had to reall use the bathroom (according to hypnosis) once he left the stage, his erm… “thing down there” vanished. When he snapped twice, women felt a pinch on their rear end and blamed the guy next to them. The hypnotist made himself invisible holding a stuffed barney in his hands and changed the mic to a demonic voice and played simon says (LOL). Among other things, a guy believed he was a kangaroo and stuffed bread in his pants (thinking he was feeding his baby) and was told under hypnosis not to think anything of it- and he didn’t. Two guys were told they were delivering babies and screamed into the mic! (LOL). One guy was Paris Hilton and tried to seduce men in the audience (LOL). It was a great show and my roomate and I loved it.


My roomate and I start classes tomorrow so I am happy to get started on stuff. He seems like a realy nice guy and we are going to get along well. I think this is the start of my college life- today. I know a lot of people (and ran into one old acquaintance from Nazareth!) and I’m gonna meet a few more.

No comments: