February 6, 2012

So You Want to Build a Gameroom? Or Spiffy Up the Joint?

I have seen a lot of game rooms on the internet. If you are interested in building or furnishing one, this is a great article to check out. Here, I will outline what I have to offer, in addition to links and resources to help you build your hub.

Why a video game room?
A video game room can be a place of fun for you, family and friends when you need something to do. For some folks it is a hobby. The next step further is to collect, restore, and gather merchandise related to video games into a complete collection. Even further are the doom rooms, which are massive collections (borderline hoarding!) of games and merchandise.

An example of a Doom Room- a collector who has acquired an extensive collection of video games and memorabilia that suit their tastes.



What do I need in order to get started? What do I need to know?
A video game room can be affordable if you know where to look. The first thing you will need is a sum of cash. I have spent around $40 on my two shelves that I have constructed while using existing furniture that I have. If color is a biggie, factor in applying paint, which isn't hard.

You will need limited knowledge of painting where applicable, which I can provide assistance for.
You will need intermediate woodworking knowledge, which I can help with too.
You will need a general idea of what is at your local hardware store.
You will need an imagination!

How difficult is it to get a game room up?
When you build your own shelves and simple furniture, it isn't hard at all. Custom tailored furniture ensures that you have room for what you want- and control of how you want the room to be.

What kind of stuff is there to fill up my room?
Equipment, storage units, consoles, floor mats, cards, post cards, plushies, toys, action figures, game sets, signs (lit or static) and a lot more.

Do I need to hoard in order to make the room look cool?
Nope! I like to keep a conservative style in my room so that I have open space, but room for my collection. The bigger the collection, the bigger the room you will want it in. I have a collection of around 150 games that fit just fine in a 10 x 12 foot room. Like stated before, my shelves are custom designed to hold my stuff AND offer room for growth.

Where can I find cheap stuff that isn't gaming merchandise?
Find an old leather or fabric couch that just needs support underneath for 100, that originally sold for ten times that? Take it off their hands and spiffy it up! Or use existing furniture to save money. The answer is at garage sales, swap meets, flea markets, and good old www.ebay.com or www.craigslist.com

What guides to you have available for building a game room and/or accessories?
Building a game shelf, part 1
Building a game shelf, part 2
Building a game shelf, part 3

What external resources do you have?
Building a Gameroom Series
Pete Dorr Doom Room
A budding Game Room

A developing Australian's Collection
Arcade Room of Doom
Joel's Room of Doom

No comments: