January 29, 2012

Build a Game Shelf, Part II













The building process itself is pretty straight forward. I had my wood boards cut at Home Depot, and I picked up wood screws. The thickness of each board was 3/4 inch, and I accounted for 1 inch thickness. Everything still went together, but take note of varying measurements and calculate accordingly at the store.

For the hardware I went with wood screws. I selected 1.5" ones, but could have went with 1.25" had I corrected for the board thickness. I did drill pilot holes for the screws, which helped their installation significantly. To do this, select a drill bit half the size of the rough diameter of the screw, and drill your hole. This will be even easier if you own a drill press. If you don't (I don't!), keep your arm as perpendicular to the wood as possible.

I used two screws at each connection. Originally I was going to have a support piece on the bottom shelf, but the piece that was cut for me was too small. Once the outer frame was together, I drilled holes for the dowel rods. I drilled a 1/4 inch hole for a 1/4 dowel peg, which you can also buy at home depot (I had some lying around). I gently hammered them in with some superglue and they are still holding.

The hardest part of the project was measuring the holes for the shelf pegs. Make sure to be accurate with your drilling and you will have a true, or close to true and flat- shelf.

No comments: