August 27, 2007

Move-In Day

Well the internet is not currently up in the dorms, I am making this post using Microsoft Word! I moved in yesterday and I had a mix of feelings as well as my own share of adventures. We left the house at around 9am and the traffic was really bad going down south (I had zero idea truckers were up this early in the morning!) Eventually we arrived and got rerouted to a line of many freshman and their cars unloading into the dorms. It was indeed a zoo, but not as big of a zoo as I thought it would be. I was very nervous unpacking stuff, saying over and over “I ain’t ready for this” but I l new clearly that I was ready for college. There was an extra spot on the elevator, so they could fit myself and my foot locker, but not my dad. So I went to the fourth floor with my schtuff, and not even the first five minutes that I had been in the building I met a new friend, who also happens to be my Residence Advisor. She is very nice person and somewhat bubbly (sense of humor). I felt a lot better moving in, not being used to the dorm rooms she helped me get in, because I could not turn the key properly (hehe). My parents helped me load stuff in and set some stuff up, then I locked up and we went out to Pizzeria Unos for lunch. I have to say, their pizza is THE best pizza I have ever eaten anywhere. They even top pizza hut 0_0. The deep dish pizza was so small, but after three pieces and two cokes I was full. The pizza was absoloutly delicious. The tomatoes were diced on, but I was willing to try something new. They weren’t chewy at all: everything about the texture of the pizza was perfect. Not a lot of grease, perfect bread composition and the sauce was amazing. I highly recommend visiting one in the near future, because I will some nights.

Down the road is a large shopping complex with a Barnes and Noble, Weis supermarket, TJ Maxx and some other discount brand stores like Babies R Us. Across the complex was a smaller complex with a Big and Tall Shop, a Gamestop and a NY NY Pizzeria, among other things like GNC. This area has everything I need not even within half a mile of the campus. Down the road about a mile is a Best Buy, Home Depot and the Reading Mall “aka Berkshire Mall”. I went to weis the other night to stock up on bread, balonga and cheese (my favorite sandwich). Although our on campus restauraunt/deli Tulleys has food there, a lot of the stuff is quick fast food that I want to avoid, but I understand that my parents put money into my account for a reason. I’ll grab food there, but I won’t be grabbing a burger every day.

I went to the bookstore to pick up my final engineering book, then my parents and I went back up the hill where I said “how ironic, you guys are leaving me and there is a fork in the path”. The path lead to the right portion of campus then the left side to the dorm rooms. I hugged my parents goodbye and went up to the dorm rooms. I felt awkward, both happy yet a little scared that I am alone. So I took a shower and went to a student orientation then had dinner at Tulleys with my hall at 6pm. After that I headed out to Weis to get some stuff that I needed and I did my best to relax and get some food in me. I’ve tried getting the internet to work, although I am connected to the Penn State network, University Park hasn’t turned on the internet yet. Rumor is some in the dorm complex have internet while others don’t. It’s really weird and people are a little frustrated with it: personally I can live a bit withut the net in the dorm rooms, it will be here soon and in the meantime I’ll book it in the library and try to get a connection with the wi-fi there.

It’s Saturday morning now and Im off to another Penn State orientation for student registration. I think after 12pm or s I have the day to myself so I’m going to relax a bit, head to the library and chill out for the rest of the day, heading around campus to check out what’s here and try to meet a few new people.

No comments: