July 24, 2017

'The Faithful and the Fallen' Series by John Gwynne


 * * * *

The title of the series sounds something out of 'As the world turns' but I digress. Let's talk epic fantasy. Although I have not read 'Game of Thrones' by George R.R. Martin, many people compare 'The Faithful and the Fallen' to it. I guess that can't be bad. The books are well written and I enjoyed them.

It's a coming of age story about a young man who wants to serve his King and make his parents proud- except that the world starts crumbling apart. The books cover multiple characters and can jump around from chapter to chapter- but you get used to it. There's a lot of backstabbing, a lot of bull shittery and a lot of death.

Without giving any spoilers away- the ending is very satisfying. It isn't a complete cliff hangar- but leaves the path open to his next series that takes place in the same universe. That book is slated to release in late 2017. No concrete date yet- but it's on my radar. I was expecting a little more apocalypse, but got a good story anyways. I gave each book a solid four stars. Go read them.

Truth and courage!

No comments: