June 9, 2013

DRM, Used Games, Pricing Models, What is All of This Really About?


While we're on the subject of video games lately- let's talk about games. Specifically used games and game prices. Nobody likes DRM. We put up with it sometimes- and sometimes it crosses the line so badly, like with the upcoming Xbox One that we throw our hands up in the air and just exclaim "fuck it".

My original argument was that I hated DRM for being anti-consumerist. Those that are extremist enough on that position will refuse to pay for any DRM merchandise- which excludes you out of most PC games and an increasing number of console titles. To base my argument on buying used games because I hate the DRM [and thus, those publishers that used it] is stupid. I say that because if I were to still believe that joke of an argument, I would be one hypocritical motherfucker for using Steam.

Which leads me to ponder exactly why I purchase used games. And that answer, boys and girls is because the prices are cheaper. If I am going to get 20-30 hours out of the content of the game, I don't want to fork over $60 for a game. In this day and age, the "license" to play "their" game. "Us versus Them" mentality now; isn't it beautiful?

But why am I on Steam? I like Steam because of the sales and discounted prices on titles, especially years after they are released. In a way, the Steam sales model kind of obliterates my need to buy second hand for two reasons. One because the content is on my PC, and two because the price is so cheap. Steam, although some games use DRM, is an affordable alternative to the shills in some console publishers who want full price for a 5-6 year old game. Console manufacturers just don't "get it", and may discount a 5 year old game to $49.99 or $39.99 when it should be much cheaper. I won't bite.

Very rarely will I pay market value for a game up front. Typically, such a game must offer me plenty of value (Skyrim) or I need to be a raging fan of the game (Zelda). Those are the last two examples of my purchase of a game up front at launch. Bravo if Sony or Microsoft's price model is profitable for them- but especially with Microsoft; I'm not going to put up with the de-facto no used games bullshit and get charged by publishers. The same goes for Sony, except Microsoft is more of a culprit when it comes to anti-consumer and anti-privacy practices.

I'll say it once and I'll say it again. Your concern for the product you sell me mother fucking ends at the point of sale. Would I consider a steam sale model on consoles? yeah, but the track record of the console industry still shows that they are greedy fucks, and I won't bite the hook until they get fucking serious. Would I consider the Xbox One? no, for reasons explained in previous articles. The PS4 and Wii U are still contenders though. The PS4 is gonna have to come through for non-PC titles and exclusive titles in order for me to pick one up.

-A gamer of 21 years



No comments: