December 20, 2008

Microsoft, Disk Scratching and the Red Rind of Death

Microsoft, Disk Scratching and the Red Rind of Death (article from the Gaming Guild Newsletter)




I was sitting down over Christmas break looking at an article regarding the Xbox 360. Now maybe some of you 360 owners know about these issues (like my roommate) but the idea that there were no preventative measures put into the 360 to stop the lens from scratching disks scares me, especially when at the manufacturing level it will cost Microsoft 50 cents per console to put in bumpers.



As a gamer, I understand not to move a console while it is in use- Many of you in the MPR know that I have placed my Wii upside down (ok laugh at me know), and when we tried to flip it over I heard horrible, horrible noises coming from my Wii. The disc was fine, but many others (who can remember Josh’s 360 and that incident with Soul Caliber?) were not so lucky. I am not a big 360 guy, but some of the stuff I have seen from it are truly impressive- Gears of War 2, Lost Odyssey, Halo, I have seen a lot of great games for the Xbox 360.


My favorite experience was with playing Grand Theft Auto 4- I was still new to the game and accidentally drove my car into an apartment building. Not knowing the controls, I wedged myself between the building and the car, and I couldn’t get out. Trying the trigger button to try and jump, I dropped a grenade and said “Oh my God”… and he flew like a mix of an angel and a sardine! I sat there, on my ass laughing for a good 10 minutes as I enjoyed a BLT. By the way, the BLT was good- they were some Middle Eastern tomato and they tasted great.



Any tips on saving disks? Disk doctor is an option, but I have heard folks have had no problems with game discs keeping the console perfectly still and horizontal. I remember the first model PS2s (the bulky ones) had this problem when game discs were run when the console was vertical- I had that problem but never had any discs go inoperable as a result. This little conundrum makes me go “ehhhh”, but I still want a 360 when I can come across some money.

No comments: