August 1, 2008

1/100 Tallgeese III Complete






Sad to have to stop work on a project, but it is done! I think I turned a disaster kit from the beginning into a decent and good looking model in the end. This is one of Bandai's 1/100 HG series kits. Honestly, if I were to tackle a MG or PG I would spend months on it to get it just right.The tallgeese III is one of my favorite mobile suits from the Gundam Wing series. The Tallgeese III encorporates elements of both Tallgeese II and Gundam Epyon. It's got a beam cannon, a heat rod, vulcan cannons and two beam sabers- not to mention vernie boosters- this thing is a MONSTER on legs.



No idea if it could fold up like Wing Zero and Epyon- my assumption is no.I intended the mode to be a simple kit, and somewhere along the way I inked the entire model, then left it to do other things. The tallgeese sat in its box for over a year until i found it again in the garage in its box, right where I had left it. I decided to make it my mission to finish the tallgeese. Everything was on the model and ready to go- I stopped right at the beam cannon. I decided to work the seams (didn't quite work so well- will explain later) and repaint the gun- a wise choice because the texture of the paint looked so much better than the flashy plastic. I then went at the heat rod pieces and shield by painting them white (Tamiya TS-27). To my suprise the white dried quickly.



When I had time, I then began weathering the entire model by applying black pastels and rubbing water into the body to create effectively a wash. It looked neat. I decided that I wanted a top coat at the end of the ordeal, so I weathered more pastel than I wanted because flat coat eats pastel work. It turned out just fine. I sprayed the top coat then ran like hell with ventilation on in the garage- that stuff is strong! (wear a mask, I did).I then painted the shield and beam cannon their proper colors (that is, the minor details). The chords to the beam cannon were painted with three parts brown to one part black. I painted the blue disc covering on the back of the gun as well.



I painted the shield according to my aesthetic needs- in short I wanted to customize tallgeese my way- so the shield paint scheme is not 100% accurate.This model was done with NO AIRBRUSH WORK whatsoever. I, like many readers don’t have too much time to airbrush stuff, though pretty soon that will change. This is a way to get a great looking Gundam model with considerable effort without having to become a full fledged pro. I like my Tallgeese, and I am going to paint the Zechs figure as well that came with the kit, despite being horrible at painting them properly. I am going to give it a shot.

No comments: