June 20, 2008

M4a1 Walker Bulldog Progress, Part 2

I decided to fit some of the painted wheels back on and the appearance of the bulldog has been enhanced with painted wheels. I am going to paint the insides of the wheels as much as I can, then do the other side. Painting these wheels has been a pain in the butt, but the effect they have produced is well worth it. I would like to simulate mud on the wheel and track areas.


I also began drilling out portholes in the upper section of the turret. These were molded windows that you could paint black, but I would like to install glass windows instead (clear polystyrene). I already pin vised the areas needing attention, and I will take a special bit and carefully form the windows from the inside tomorrow. I also will drill small holes for the grab irons.

I went ahead and bought the LED for a lighting system. Using my roommate's technique I will make sure that the front lights light up. The tank is beginning to appear a lot more like a tank just from painting the wheels, and I am not even 25% done with it yet. A bunch of clear fiber optic cables will be joined together and strung through the body of the tank up to the lights. The exposed portions of the fiber optic cable will be painted black to simulate the effect of cables.

This is not 100% accurate, but it is less stressful on the cable itself (you can't bend it exactly at 90 degrees) and I am willing to take the sacrifice. The system will run on 3volts, although the LED is rated for 3.5volts. This means that the LED won't be as bright, which is fine with me. Inside, reflective tin (either a pop tarts wrapper or tin foil) will cover every fiber optic cable to reflect light back into the cable- I don't want the "empty" interior showing.

No comments: