December 9, 2006

Three Thumbs Up: Zelda Twilight Princess

Great game!!!


It's been a long time since I have played a brand new Zelda game, to boot on a next generation console (Generation 6 now) and one that rivals Ocarina of Time. I started playing the Zelda series around when I was maybe 5 or 6. My best friend who was also my neighbor had a Super Nintendo and we would play it a lot. He never really had the patience to get far in the game, but I was HOOKED. I saved up my allowance, bought Simcity and the Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, and played a large amount of both. I could never beat A Link to the Past, and a few years later I found the console when I was 10 or 11 and I rehooked everything up. Started a new save file and beat the game. I can't remember a more special game than A Link to the Past was. I was fascinated by the lore and the story of the game more than the actual "thrill" of dungeons. At this point I new jack about anime or anything from Japan, except for Mario, Pokemon, then there was Zelda.


When the Nintendo 64 came out, I figured I would buy that as well and play it. I got it for my 10th or 11th birthday and then eventually picked up the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time. Little did I know I was about to reenter that world of power and lore of the mystic Triforce. I played through the game and became absoloutly FASCINATED with it, and then a few years later, really got into the story of the Hero of Time from Hyrule. I finished the game kind of sad; that it was all over.


Back in 2000-2001 I heard that The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask was to be released. I preordered (one of the very few things I have ever preordered) the game and got the golden cartridge with the cool logo on front (not the sticker one). The game also exceeded my expectations and I had a lot of fun with this one. I never got that feeling I did with Ocarina of Time or A Link to the Past, but Majora's Mask was very enjoyable. Really tough dungeons. I finished the game and was overall pleased.


Back in 2003-2004 I heard The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker was to be released, to much criticism by fans and critics. I got it for my 12th or 13th birthday from my best friend who I still talk with, despite the distance (actual land distance) between us. The game was actually pretty fun and I enjoyed the cell shaded graphics. With a Zelda game on a game disc, there was more to the game. The game was HUGE! There is so much to do and so much to collect. Some of the dungeons were SUPER TOUGH, but none of the bosses (save puppet ganon) were any problem.


Back in 2005, I heard Nintendo was working on a next gen console called the Wii. I was looking into the new Zelda game and was thrilled beyond belief that it would be a launch title. I studied a lot of the pictures and screenshots and I could not wait. Now that The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is out, I immediatly began working on it a few days ago. I havn't even finished it yet, and I am somewhat back into that feeling of lore lost long ago. I thought Wind Waker was big. Oh no my bad, Twilight Princess is GARGANTUAN in proportions to game size. It literally takes a long time to travel across Hyrule Field, and there is so much to do and so many things to get. The story is great, but I am having trouble discerning where Twilight Pricess may come in through the timeline. Here is what I know.






SPOILIER WARNING
_________________________________________________________________
- Gannondorf is not involved. Zant is a new evil power that has arisen from the Realm of Twilight
(think of Zant as another evil being or incarnation such as Majora)
- The Temple of Time exists, giving evidence that this occured after Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask. HOWEVER, the Master Sword rests in the Fauron Woods (Lost Woods) just as it did in A Link to the Past, giving more evidence that Twilight Princess is in the timeline after a Link to the Past and before Ocarina of Time. I'll release a post giving my evidence and theories as soon as I beat the game.
- The Forest Temple exists where it did in Ocarina of Time (In the Lost Woods, near the Sacred Grove, roughly in the same location)
- The Fire Temple (Goron Mines) exist in the heart of Death Mountain, roughly where they should be. The Goron city is also connected to the Temple (as in Ocarina of Time)
- The Water Temple exists exactly where it did in Ocarina of Time, under the bed of Lake Hylia.
- The Temple of Time does NOT exist where it did in Ocarina of Time. It does, however exist relativly close to the Pedastal of Time (Pedastal that holds the Master Sword)
- The Twilight Realm sounds and works awefully A LOT like the "Dark World". Victims get transfered to the twilight, and are either turned into spirits that are stuck within the twilight, or turn into monsters or some other creature according to their heart, just like in A Link to the Past. Without the Moon's Pearl in A Link to the Past, one could not retain shape going through worlds.
February 16, 2007: I would like to correct a few things.
-Zant is NOT Gannondorf.
-The Temple of Time exists where it has always been, and I propose that Hyrule Castle was moved, OR the sages constructed a new Temple of Time closer to the Forest Temple.
-Many of the Temples Return for a kick ( DISTURBINGLY the Forest Temple in TP is A LOAD OF A LOT SIMILAR to the one in OOT.) in their original locations.
-The Twilight Realm is indeed Hyrule B's mirror events to the Dark World in A Link to the Past. In the Twilight, one must have a curse uplifted (if you are a chosen one) or it is virtually impossible to exist in your original form in the Twilight. In a Link to the Past, one must have had the Moon's Pearl.

____________________________________________________________________


SPOILER END
Graphically, this is the best Zelda game I have played to date. Castle Town is BUSY with people, there are guards posted all around the place, and everything looks beautiful and spectacular. Epona looks like a real horse. HATS OFF TO THE DEVELOPERS AND ARTISTS. The soundtrack is the best I have ever heard in any Zelda Game, period end of story. The story thusfar is strong and pretty amazing, I can't wait to go on the rest of my adventure into the game. But first, I need to slow down and stop doing dungeons, go back, do mini games, collect pieces of heart, etc. More on this, and a review when I finish the game and can write up something for you guys.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree especially on the graphics in this game possibly the best game i have ever played i just cant figure out how to beat the fire temple please post reply if you are this far in yet

thx :)