September 18, 2006

Addition: 1045 Carbon Steel Masahiro Bamboo Katana

I just received this in the mail and I am absolutely floored with the quality of the piece. Ill upload some pictures here and caption. The sword is beautiful, and upon immediate inspection the blade was not only intact, but strong inside the hilt, and above all- a mirror polish and a perfect blade (no pits etc).
Blade from an angle view, on its mount and in the sheath. How could this be a better picture, with the kit in the background, the sword bag, the sword itself, AND a Samurai X wallscroll in the background? Perfect.

Another view from the other side of the scabbard. The Sword cleaning kit is clearly visible and the scabbard came in 99% perfect condition (one small scuff that I don't really care about, the scuff is about 3mm by 4mm and it really isn’t that big of a deal, the sword is still BEAUTIFUL. I looked at the scuff further, and it is not subcutaneous [meaning it can be wiped off].)
Unsheathed the Sword at the Tsuka. I was really impressed with the collar (the bronze thingy) and how easily it fit into the Saya (scabbard, sheath) yet it was snug. I am glad to say the interior of the saya is all wood, unlike my 440 stainless that have protective plastic on the inside (thus the plastic would be cut off the interior and I would have to clean the 440 stainless). This Bamboo Katana is 1045 Carbonized Steel, and must be cleaned every good 2-3 months of its lifetime (hopefully a long time). I was very impressed with the fit into the hand (a lot tighter and firmer) than my 440 stainless swords, and the rayskin was on there TIGHT just like I like it. The traditional single peg Meguki (the thing holding the tang in) is clearly present; I can't find it on my 440 stainless katana.

Just a main shot of the katana on top of my Dresser. The stand is to a piano black finish, as well as the scabbard. Top quality. With swords like these, the money you pay for them is exactly what you are getting.

The beauty to this blade, besides the mirror shine, the kissaki (or point for better loss of words). On the stainless steel blades we have a flat kissaki, because they are just for that; display purposes. This Bamboo Katana is no display sword, it is a weapon.

Your seller here is Loominosity, who on Ebay I think deals exclusively with Swords of Eastern Asian Origin. As soon as I can contact my father I will be writing positive feedback for him, because the quality of this sword is second to none and I cannot find anything wrong with the sword. It will be taken very good care of and admired as an heirloom for the future. You can visit his store at The Steel Chrysanthemum and shop around there. He has your functional katanas as well as your "out of the ordinary" swords such as Final Fantasy Swords or your fictional "Sakabato" popularized in the Anime Rurouni Kenshin. (As a note, the reason Sakabatos are made of 440 stainless is because a real carbonized one is near impossible to make and polish. Think a katana backwards).

I will tell you that his business has been very much appreciated, and the product is absolutely adored. I am new to buying swords from Ebay, and with the proper searching I found Loominosity to be an honest, upstanding Ebay seller who is selling quality Katana far below what they are worth at great prices. I now have high, set standards and will expect the best from him in the future (I will be buying from him again, duh!). The Sword is phenomenal, his service is phenomenal, and I will tell you it was AGONIZING waiting for the sword, but having it now it was so worth it. I recommend him as a good seller; if the sword does become lost you are covered. Thanks Loominosity! I am enjoying the new Katana.

-XYZPDQ (Rob)

No comments: