April 10, 2014

Haggling Retro Games

So later today I am going to go down to 8 bit and see if they want to buy some of my retro games. They deal in this stuff, and I want to help them out- so I will do a direct trade for credit towards other titles in the store.


There are a couple of things you need to know when selling or trading your retro games.

1) Do they work
2) Value of the lot
3) What you want for them


Do they work?
Don't sell a good retro store games you know don't work. They will check the carts and discs anyway- but be ethical (and adult) about it and sell them legit product.


Value of the lot
Know the value of the lot. Pricecharting.com helps with this.


What you want for the games
Be realistic. A store is in business to make money, not give you full price for games and make a 10% markup. Let them offer a price first, then go from there. I like to offer them about 60%-65% of what the games are worth, and if I am lucky get 70% value in trade in credit. As a retro gamer I am not looking to cash in. I am looking for more games- and in the long run, trade in credit hurts a company less than giving out straight cash. Know when to keep your stuff, too. If they low ball you way too far, you don't have to sell. I plan on starting strong in taking 70% value of the games, given discounts due to condition- and haggle from there.


What are you selling today?
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (PS3) (CIB)
Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
PGA Tour Golf III (GEN)
F22 Interceptor (GEN)
Sonic 2 (GEN)
Jungle Strike (SNES)
NBA JAM (SNES)
Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)


A business has to take a risk on product. They may not even take the whole lot, to which I am open and flexible. If I were a business into quality retro games, I would probably not buy PGA Tour Golf or F22 Interceptor. Everything else is fair game. Donkey Kong and Zelda WILL fly. They will offer me money for those. I am interested in getting a fair price for my games, but at the same time helping the store out. After all, the goal here is to expand my retro collection and sell my duplicates, not make a quick buck. Know your minimum thresh hold and stick to it.


No comments: