August 28, 2011

1/100 [MG] Zeta plus C1 Complete

Warning: Photos not final. Quick shots!
Well, for the most part this kit is done. There are some touch ups that need to be made, a base created (I borrowed the Tallgeese base) and a pat on the back. Let's talk about this kit.

Transformable Gundams were all the rage in the 1980s. Unfortunately, they do not make good model kits. The innards and mechanisms are poorly designed, are hard to place and easy to break. This kit fought me when I wanted it to go together. I ended up having to superglue parts together, preventing the transformation into bird mode. If I want a bird mode variant, I'll go buy another one and use the same paints. I didn't have a choice.

The legs are held in by 2mm diameter pegs on the ends of two polycaps. Not the best way to support that load. Parts constantly wanted to fall off- especially the parts underneath the chest. Some parts did not want to go on period- and I left off the shoulder sleeves for that reason. The hands are stiff and it is hard to grip the laser cannon.

This Gundam is sleek. I called for aircraft steel, an emamel Model Masters makes. The color was mixed with dark gray to make it appear darker. The end result is fantastic. The inner frame was painted Ghost Gray. I also painted any white colors the same navy blue as the feet; the feet were too close to sky blue to my liking. I used Tamiya's Navy Blue to get the job done.

This Master Grade is not for beginners. With that said, let's put in something positive about the kit. The laser cannon makes the kit. It is THE most badass cannon I have ever seen on a sci-fi kit. Hands down. I love it. The colors are perfect and the detail is great. This kit looks great when complete too.

Positive: Great finish, amazing weapons
Negative: Hard to assemble, fights the builder, parts fall off with a sneeze
Recommendation: No. Skip this kit if you can. If you like the subject matter, Zeta Gundam, this kit, and can put up with the subpar engineering, try your hand with it. I'm glad it's over, and happy with the results.

No comments: