February 13, 2007

Developers Pushing it with Vanguard



Vanguard SOH is the newest MMORPG to be released, only about 2 weeks old and it has plenty of it's own problems. That is not my problem though with Vanguard, my problem is with next generation developers.


I tried running Vanguard this afternoon and I could not because my Radeon 9200 is far out of date. It seems every MONTH the previous card goes out of date, and I am sick of shelling hundreds of dollars to upgrade my machine just to play a game that EXPLODES polygons at me. I was browsing BestBuy.com to find a suitable card, but they cost $300 plus, and that is money I do not have. So what is my problem again?

I feel developers are setting the minimum requirements for their games way too high, either this is a marketing ploy to support hardware manufacturers, or they are playing the guessing game where they believe everyone will upgrade to play the next best game. The average person cannot afford to upgrade their computers; it's too laborious of a process and it is costly. When I go back to work this year I can afford one no problem, and it's probably my best intentions to upgrade at least by the fall of next year, maybe add another Gig of RAM or so to really get the games running smooth. For now, I won't be purchasing Vanguard because it wants me to upgrade with a $400 card.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

fyi i am plaing vangard with a radeon 700x with 512mb ram with little to no lag, only time i have problems is city with lots of player then i must removed the names and the lag go away. since I am usually not in city this has not been a big problem

Rob said...

That's a nice card, my Radeon 9200 won't cut it. I have about 1 Gig of Ram, but the game takes up 17 Gigabytes of my harddrive and I still can't get it to work. My processor may also be out of date as well as a few other things. I am going to wait to upgrade; I just don't have the money.