August 18, 2017

Moving Guide

Local pizzeria's cheesesteak double decker. I'll miss it.


Et Cetera [not required reading]
Well, unfortunately it's about that time. No not the blog or the channel- I mean that I have to move. I just find it weird this time. About every five to five and a half years the family ends up moving. It was a curse we attributed to my father's old job- but with his new one the curse may be lifted. The majority of moves in my life have involved me relocating to a new location when I did not want to leave the one I was currently at. There was one exception in high school where I wanted OUT of the area because of the vitriol and antisociality I received at that high school (population: 500). That was ages ago.

This time I am relocating because the county I live in has failed me. To be fair it isn't the county's fault entirely- but it takes the majority of the blame. Not only could I not find a job within my career field- I couldn't find a job period. As I waited for a year or two things got slightly better. By that I mean part time jobs opened up- but that's it. It has been four years now and the local economy is not recovering as fast as I need it to. I can't afford to pay my rent bills, loans and skyrocketing medical costs. There is nothing wrong with me except for my thyroid- it's Obamacare. That's an entirely other subject not for this blog or the youtube channel. Just know that I await it's destruction.

Guide [start here]
So here is a guide to how I am moving. It might come in handy for you too. A lot of it requires work with your hands, some imagination and determination. I'll say that it's not impossible to learn. In this 700-800 square foot apartment I do not own much property. Thankfully the majority of it belongs to my roommate. I don't have a couch to move or massive shelves.

1) Most of my furniture was built with tear down in mind. The game collection shelves, my desk and my work station were all built by me. They are mostly wall studs and plywood put together with wood screws and then painted. They didn't cost much either- probably $30 for the whole shebang. I used other types of affordable wood cut from the hardware store for the game shelves. I did not want to mix and match different bookshelves for the collection and I wanted the shelves custom fit for maximum space- so I did it. None of those items are coming with me- they are getting recycled. It's likely that scavengers (yes, they look for materials and items thrown away by others that are still good) will take the resources. Simply pack the items in or on the take down furniture and carry it out to the recycling bin. It saves me time, energy and money.

2) Know your mode of transport. If you know how you are transporting your stuff from one place to the other then you can plan ahead. I don't expect everyone to know how to use an AUTOCAD program- but they are immensely helpful for many different reasons not related to design or engineering. I use Draftsight- which is free. I entered the dimensions of the trailer to find out a couple of things. A) will my stuff fit? B) how many boxes can I stuff in that trailer? B would require me to get the dimensions of everything going in there- but most of my boxes are one size. My stuff should fit in the trailer with room for 30-40 small boxes. I am fairly confident (yes, fudging it) that everything will fit in there with room to spare. 

3) Build up heavy to light. What I mean is put the heavy stuff on the bottom. If you put light stuff on the bottom it will get crushed. The heaviest boxes can bear the brunt of the load on top. In my case "A" boxes will make up the bottom of the trailer. "B" is intermediate weight and "C" is the lightest. "A" boxes will likely consist of a large quantity of smaller items, heavy items and ammunition. Clothes will be either "A" or "B" boxes.

4) Identify/List what you are packing. I described the "A,B,C" system above- but I am affixing numbers to the end on each box. I write down what goes in each box incase I have to find something quickly. "A-01" contains some of my game collection. "A-02" likely will as well- but it might be lighter than "A-01". If that is the case I'll rename it to "B-##" or C-##". My closet is organized like this. On my computer is an excel file detailing what is in each box- aptly named box #1 through box #4. I will rename those boxes for shipment.

5) Specialty items. Anything that is fragile, and believe me- you will have something fragile to move- gets a "F!" on the box in a circle. This is to warn the person that the damn box is fragile. You could write 'fragile' on the box too- but "F!" is short hand and easy to identify. My gundam models and any glass items will have their boxes marked with "F!". Put clothing in between screens and other surfaces. Wrap delicate items. Carefully cushion glass with clothing (in the case of my glass display stand).  I could do an entire guide on how to make custom boxes for model kit transport- but I don't have the time, the location or the tools to build them right now. Just know that a moving company in the past destroyed priceless models of mine and I was major league pissed- not trusting the company before, during and after. Safe packing my ass. They threw them in cardboard boxes with other stuff! Couldn't even be bothered to build a frame around the model and cut some plywood. Jesus Christ. I digress.


People with evil intent in their hearts and minds do not need to get a hold of this weapon. Because of that I am taking special precautions to make sure it is not stolen. That moral obligation is fulfilled because the gun is coming with me.





6) Items that absolutely cannot be stolen or left unattended. This includes important documents, living things (animals, pets), valuables and firearms. With firearms the transportation has to abide by federal law. Transport the gun unloaded and the magazines/ammo inaccessible. Since my stuff will end up in a storage locker for a month or three the guns all come with me in my car- not the trailer. No exception. When the family relocates (and I with them) the firearms will be stored unloaded in the family safe. Good luck to the poor *BEEPS* who have to move that safe.

No comments: