February 24, 2014

Ruger 10/22



I have quite a bit to say about this firearm, but a lot of it has been said before on the internet. Before buying this rifle, I had limited experience with any type of Ruger firearm. I was looking for an affordable plinking rifle that was semi-automatic and shot in .22lr. I looked at the Smith and Wesson M&P 22, but didn't want to remove one of my limbs in order to afford one. Instead, I learned about the wonderful world of aftermarket parts- and after purchasing my 10/22 I learned about aftermarket stocks ATI makes. I had my .22lr plinking rifle in a tactical package.

This was my first firearm purchase in Pennsylvania, and technically my first firearm purchase period. I filled out a 4473 and had a background check conducted on my person. I passed and was qualified to purchase the weapon. I decided to go with a black synthetic stock over wood. I mainly did this because my father's old Magtech looked a lot like the wood stock- and I preferred the synthetic one anyways. It's rugged, solid and can take a bit of a beating- though I take extreme care handling my firearms. The Magtech 7022 is an inferior rifle in my opinion- and the one we owned had no place for a rail or scope mount.

After taxes, the rifle came out to $244 USD. I also picked up a couple of accessories, including a Ruger brand BX-25 magazine (not a clip, kids), a rifle pouch and a .22lr rifle boresnake (Boresnakes=God). I recently got some money for graduation- and I used that to purchase a Simmons 3x-9x 32mm 22mag scope in addition to an endangered species. I was in luck the day I went to get my scope- the owner of the shop had a brick of Federal .22lr in stock. I said 'oh my god' and bought it. I left the other box  for another customer because I didn't need it. Needless to say- my father wasn't happy that I did not horde the ammo. Someone else needed it, and I can make 500 rounds last a while.

Out of the box the rifle shot a bit high at 50 yards. I took it out shooting in temperatures of -2 farenheight (before wind chill) and there was a 15mph crosswind. Needless to say the accuracy wasn't par, but looking back at it- it's fairly excellent given the conditions and my general discomfort as my face was turning into frozen flesh. The first time I adjusted the sights the rifle shot high about a foot and a half at 50 yards. I figured out my simple mistake and adjusted the iron sights in the opposite direction. At 50 yards I was able to keep a 4-5" group. I would consider myself a novice marksman.

Field stripping a 10/22 is simple. It is held together by a barrel band (not all are) and one hex screw. The hex screw, if I recall correctly takes a Hex 5 bit. Intuitively, one wants to press down on the barrel to unseat the assembly from the stock. Do it the opposite way- and it should jar loose. Make sure to press the safety in so that there is room on both sides for the stock to slip off. From there you can gently remove the two pins and the buffer pin from the assembly.

That's as far as I go with the trigger group- I usually set it aside and get a q-tip in there to clean it. I tap my solid pins from left to right- gently with a flat punch. They should fall right out. From there you can pull the charging handle back. With the buffer pin removed it should stay back. Simply begin to lift the bolt out of the receiver (hint: the shiny silver thing) along with the charging handle. Now you can really get in there and clean. The hardest part of cleaning the firearm is putting the charging handle back in. It needs to be seated properly- then I take a flathead screwdriver and use it as leverage to pull the spring back all the way. With it held there, you need to drop the bolt back in correctly. When you do and it seats on the lip on the charging handle- everything should slide forward and you are set. Be gentle with everything- this receiver is made out of aluminum- which isn't as hard as steel.

I then keep my charging bolt back (with the lever in front of the trigger guard) and run my bore snake through the barrel. I. love. boresnakes. Get yourself one and save 10 minutes cleaning your firearms. The only reason I would fore-go a boresnake is if I seriously caked the inside of my barrel with lead. I run it through three times (spraying the bristles each time) and reattach my stock. Simplicity itself.

I want to get an ATI Strikeforce stock. Experience at the range has shown that I don't need the ATI Strikeforce- but it will look cool and let me expand upon the platform in the future if I chose to. It features a collapsible stock and it folds as well. Although not really... 'necessary', it is nice to have if I need to use my rifle in close quarters such as inside my apartment- the rifle can be fired with a folding stock.

The BX-25 magazine is a 25 round magazine for your 10/22. They also make a wind up 50 round drum, but I want a no BS, no wind drum if I am going to get a novelty accessory. They are working on a beta 100+ round drum. Other than saving reloading time at the range, and for the sake of novelty- and possibly survival in a SHTF situation, I don't see a need to purchase the 100 round drum, as drums frequently jam. It requires a Hex 3/32 bit to open it- and once you do the disassembly and cleaning process is simple. The design is phenomenal and innovative. Credit Bill Ruger with that one (I think). Instead of a spring, the magazine uses a sheet of metal on a roll that is under tension when filled. I can clean that thing in 3-4 minutes and have it back together, ready to go.

I am new to rifle scopes, but I like the 22mag scope that I have so far. It ran me $50. 

I have shot 400 rounds through this rifle. During that break in period, if you want to call it that- I had one failure to feed due to a problem with the ammo, and not the gun. Everything about it- from the components to the operation to the accuracy screams quality. I love this rifle, and I love all of the aftermarket parts available for it. If I break something- the part is easily available and I can get a new one. I love being able to make safe modifications to my firearm without the help of a gunsmith- such as with some of the bolt releases, trigger groups, rails and handles. I still plan on having it cleaned by a gunsmith every other year.

Get one. Everyone should have a rifle. While not ideal for home defense, some type of gun is better than no gun. If you want to get into rifles- I was told to get into this one- or the Smith & Wesson M&P 22. I'm glad I saved $200 and increased my pool of parts.

No comments: